Question about Strict Standards

criostage

I would like some expertise of some one that could help me on this i m getting the following error, on the code i m developing:

Strict Standards: Non-static method authentication::login() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\myanidb\includes\common\content\login.php on line 12

these are the lines of code (not completed ofc ..)

login.php

<?php
    # The PHP extention files are usually protected by the webserver, but abit of
    # extra protection never hurted anyone.
    if( !defined('abspath')){die("Accessing this file directly is not allowed." );}

# The login sequence for the user is made by the following steps:
    # Uppon entering this file (login.php) the POST variables 'username' and 'password'
    # are tested to see if the user entered any data to be authenticated this test is 
    # made by checking if both variables are set (by using isset). if they are set this
    # means the user is trying to authenticate 
    if( isset( $_POST['username'] ) && isset( $_POST['password'] ) ){
        $login = authentication::login( $_POST['username'], $_POST['password'] );
    }else{
        ?>
            <form action="?go=login" method="post">
                <table align="center">
                    <tr>
                        <td><font size="2">Username</font></td>
                        <td><input type="text" name="username" /></td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                        <td><font size="2">Password</font></td>
                        <td><input type="password" name="password" /></td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                        <td colspan="2" align="center"><input type="submit" value="Login" /></td>
                    </tr>
                </table>
            </form>
        <?
    }
?>

class.authentication.php

<?php

class authentication{

protected $loginquery = '';

# Uppon class declaration, this class will start an php session 
        function __construct(){
            session_start();
        }

# Main function on the autentication class, this function will be triggered 
        # out site de class and will carry out all the necessary steps to authenticate
        # an user.
        public function login( $username, $password ){
            echo "Username: ". $username ." | Password: ". $password;
        }

# Clean's up the user session variables by unsetting the $_SESSION array,
        # destroying the session and regenerate an new ID if the user comes wants 
        # to stay on the page but not logged in.
        public function logout(){
            session_unset();
            session_destroy();
            session_regenerate_id();
        }
    }
?>

I started to learn PHP not so long ago where some of the time i couldnt do much or learn due to work and rl, so i know probably i m not doing things the right way, if possible please let me know what i m doing wrong. Thanks in Advance

login() is not a static method. You need to create an object in order to use it properly.

$auth = new authentication;
$login = $auth->login( $_POST['username'], $_POST['password'] );

Hi thanks for the reply, i already had that in other file (called init.php), sorry for not mention it this is the content of the file:

<?php

# This file will initialize all classes so they will be usable for the remaining
    # PHP script files.
    require_once( classes.'class.mysql.php');
    require_once( classes.'class.authentication.php' );

# Start the classes as an object
    $mysqlobj = new mysql($dbhost, $dbport, $dbname, $dbuser, $dbpass);
    $authobj = new authentication();
?>

I didnt mention it because i have some files already and post them all is kinda ... but if needed let me know i will try to post it some where.

yeah that worked, tyvm. just a question tho, if i use it this way (with the objects) i will have always to pass the object so it can be used inside the class, for example:

<?php
include (class.authentication.php);
include (class.mysql.php);

$authobj = new authentication();
$mysqlobj = new mysql();

$login = authobj->login( $username, $password, $mysqlobj)

then inside the class.authentication.php

<?php
class authentication{
        protected $loginquery = '';
        public function login( $username, $password, $mysqlobj ){
            $querylogin = $mysqlobj->checkauth( $username,$password );
        }
}

This way things wont become a little more complicated to manage? or there's an easier way to accomplish this? thanks again in advance =)

You could make your methods static, I wouldn't recommend it though. It completely breaks the encapsulation that classes and objects are designed to provide.

Got it i will read a little bit more on the internet about this, passing the object from class to class seen's a bit painful but like you said, if i use it this way there's no point in using classes. TYVM for the explanation =)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.