Web application security/firewalls

Hello,

I'm in the planning phase of creating a self service portal for my company, where employees past and present will be able to access/view sensitive data related to payroll, tax info, etc. This will not be an internal portal but something available from anywhere (work, home, hotel, beach..), so the added security is a must.

I'm creating the portal in PHP and it is backed by an Oracle database. I need to be able to propose some sort of firewall/security system before I am able to get started on this project.

If anyone has done something like this or something similar, I'm looking for any advice/suggestions on how I should go about doing this. Also, if you feel a different programming language would better suit this project let me know, as I am open to anything at the moment.

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.