FTP Programs

steelmanronald06

i've used cuteFTP, smartFTP, and filezilla. and let me tell ya, there's no other ftp client that i despise more than filezilla! when i used it, i had nothing but major connection issues and sometimes when uploading it would strip the whitespace from my files and append everything to one line. i got nothing but hard times out of it. i really like smartFTP, good feel, great feedback, good options and never had a problem out of it. plus i like that you can unmask passwords, that's really helpful lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had similar problems dealing with FileZilla.  Especially connection problems...  I would get cut off in the middle of an upload.  There's probably some sort of setting that I was too lazy to search for.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use fireftp to save room in my task bar.

Other than that I use whatever file manager (explorer on windows), to do my file transactions via a drag-drop annoyance.

I would like to find a portable text editor that allows me to edit files directly on a server... but not much luck so far find one that works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted before, I would suggest Using FTP Commander. Very simple to use, a small program and works great for everything you need to do with Websites. Ive always used it, and whats great about it is its free :D

www.downloads.com <-- look up FTP Commander :D

• 8 months later...
I would like to find a portable text editor that allows me to edit files directly on a server... but not much luck so far find one that works.

You could just use PuTTY to access the server's VI(M?) editor (assuming it's Linux). That's real easy to transport, heck it's even available as an iPhone app now!

• 1 month later...

I used FileZilla for awhile, but I noticed (for whatever reason) uploading files made with Notepad++, added two newlines, so my code that is on the site, is spaced to hell and too annoying to compress again (macros won't help much in this case), I switched to FlashFXP, very similar and works great.

I used FileZilla for awhile, but I noticed (for whatever reason) uploading files made with Notepad++, added two newlines, so my code that is on the site, is spaced to hell and too annoying to compress again (macros won't help much in this case), I switched to FlashFXP, very similar and works great.

Were you transferring in binary, ascii, or auto?

Were you transferring in binary, ascii, or auto?

I left it at auto, Although I assume it should transfer it ascii as there's nothing special in the file.

In my hex editor, it returns: 0D0D0A (Return, Return, Line terminator).

Is that a possible error (it not liking my Windows return lines) and accidental conversion? Hmm..

• 3 weeks later...

I recently switched over to CoffeeCup FTP

Heh, I remember their WYSIWYG editors in my day..

--------------

I installed gFTP, a staple FTP client for Linux. Newest version, Look ;)

screenshot21at.png

[...]

screenshot21b.png

Simple mistake.. But why linux, Why! Do I have permisssion to call it an annoying mistake?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally for servers love ProFTP.

Though I really need to set ports for my 3 virtual hosts rather than going off the same one and using 4 different files.

Will get that sorted when I can be bothered lol.

• 7 months later...

CyberDuck is the way to go. Best FTP program I've ever used.

I'm always looking for new tools so I gave this one a test drive.  It is very cool and I like the idea of being able to browse the different cloud services in a very nice interface.  However, no one doing any reasonable development would find this effective.  Having to open a new interface to select a file to upload vs. having a split window where you can drag from a local location is not something to leave out of an FTP program.

Fail.

By the way, I don't personally use it but I've tried it: the IDE I use (PHPDesigner) has a built in FTP tool that will automatically upload the files when you save them.  That might work for some but I like having more control over when things are uploaded.

• 2 weeks later...

On Windows, I recently dumped Filezilla for the FTP function in Directory Opus---not a free program, but a powerful file manager replacement. I'd used Opus for years, but the FTP function didn't really work for me until version 10. Now it's awesome.

I basically have Opus running all the time---it's my file manager: a dual file lister and multiple tabs. FTP sites are just one more tab. Opus treats FTP sites like other folders on the file system, so you can drag and drop from any tab to an FTP folder. It's a bit hard to explain unless you see it, see the link below for screenshots and links to the demo on the official site.

You can also synch the local and remote folder, so when you drill down on one side, the other follows.

I have shortcuts to launch two of my top FTP sites. The shortcut opens two tab, one for local and one for remote.

For more, here's the section of my Opus tut about Opus FTP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there any ftp program that is integrated with the editor to support easy debugging of the script>

A lot of bigger IDEs have plugins that support (S)FTP.