Portfolio Site Critique Needed

suebriquet

Hello,

I created a Web site for my portfolio of projects I worked on. I'm using it to try to help me find a job. I would like some feedback on the layout.

1. What is your first impression? Is the page memorable?

2. How is the navigation?

3. What do you think of the color combination?

4. What do you think of the layout of the pages?

5. Is the font, line-height, etc okay?

6. Any other helpful feedback would be much appreciated.

The site can be found at http://suefeng.net

Any sort of feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!

I'm not gonna get to your questions, because I think the site needs a complete rethinking.  The whole thing seems disconnected, poorly thought-out, and chaotic.

The fading header and footer is reminiscent of websites circa 1995, which had a simple graphical header and footer to wrap the content (before people figured out how to do table layouts).

The narrow-format layout doesn't help with that feeling.

And the content design has no consistency with the header and footer.

Scrap it and start over.  And don't stylize it so heavily.  A portfolio should keep the viewer's attention on the work.  The surrounding design should be well-laid-out, easy to use, and less memorable than the work.

My advice.  Stop redoing the concept, and start refining it.  You keep throwing up designs that are immature, and need work.  Then, in response to feedback, you scrap the old design and throw up a new nascent concept.  Your design will never mature like that.  You have to spend time going over the details to make a great design.

FYI, I liked your previous concept better.  I think you should go back to that one and work on the details to perfect it.

Okay I won't do any new concepts. I guess the reason why I kept redoing it is because I didn't like the other concepts as much. I had to keep doing new concepts until I was happy with something. There is a fine line between dull and ordinary and unique yet simple. I'm trying to go for unique yet simple. The first redo seemed too ordinary.

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.