Do you agree with this statement or not?

Hall of Famer

In a perfect program/script, everything is an object  

19 members have voted

1. 1. In a perfect program/script, everything is an object

• yes
    • no

There's also no such thing as a 'perfect' script/program.  And, invariably, at some point, it all gets converted into machine readable instructions.

EDIT: OOP is a design paradigm largely aimed at making things easier for people.  Consider that while thinking about perfection.

There's also no such thing as a 'perfect' script/program.  And, invariably, at some point, it all gets converted into machine readable instructions.

EDIT: OOP is a design paradigm largely aimed at making things easier for people.  Consider that while thinking about perfection.

Id say this is a quite interesting point of view. Yeah a perfect script/program is most likely unattainable, we can make it as close to perfection as possible though.

What do you mean by perfection?

Programming is a balancing act between such things as in-process efficiency, readability, maintainability, scalability, etc.  The best programs do a lot of those things well, but never excel at everything.  There's always a tradeoff.

• 2 weeks later...

In a perfect program/script, everything is an object.

Wow man...you started a whole new thread to be told the exact same thing you were told from your other thread.  What part of "no" don't you understand?  You're just an OOP fanboy and that's fine, but not at the expense of calling all else amateur, noob, etc.. because then you just come off as a pretentious douchebag.  Also, it shows your noobness.  I sorta feel sorry for you.. I bet when the next big paradigm comes along, either your heart is going to break, or you'll jump on that bandwagon and try to say the same things about OOP as you are saying about Procedural, not having learned a damn thing.

edit: there I even added a poll, maybe that will help you, since it's more visual.

To be fair, this is actually HoF's first thread on "OOP = awesome."  The PHP 5.5/6.0 thread came later.

But, yeah, any way you slice it, it's ridiculous.  I mean, that Linus Torvalds (principle creator of linux and creator of Git, and somewhat notorious for not liking C++ or OOP) is such an amateur.

To be fair, this is actually HoF's first thread on "OOP = awesome."  The PHP 5.5/6.0 thread came later. But, yeah, any way you slice it, it's ridiculous. 

LoL yeah Phil pointed that out to me, so I'll give him that.  But yeah regardless, unhealthy obsession w/ OOP for sure... I mean I like seeing when someone first discovers something and it first clicks with them.  The excitement and joy and all that jazz is kind of cute, but when it starts turning into "..and all else is shit" ... yeah, calm down sparky...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.