My ePortfolio

web coder

I think the design is okay. It's not the best I've ever seen but there's no real issues with it. The portfolio page is quite dull and basic to be honest, perhaps a thumbnail of each site would help? Also the animation seems really slow when switching between them, which makes it feel like my browser's struggling -- not really the look & feel your customers would be after I'm sure. The contact form looks really squashed together too.

In general it's not bad, but I think there's room for some simple improvements. Having said that, I'm not keen at all on the self-rated stars on the front page. That has to go if you ask me. I think it's a bit arrogant to claim that you're a 5-star PHP guru and a 5-star CSS wizard. From the CSS of yours of seen I would disagree anyway.

You need a more professional picture of yourself on the front page.  Red eyes, with a loosened tie, while looking a bit tipsy at a prom/wedding/graduation/whatever isn't exactly the image you want to portray.

Also, I agree with Adam.  You shouldn't rank yourself 5 stars at anything right now.  Your portfolio really only shows that you can edit Prestashop themes.  That's akin to someone who only knows WordPress trying to sell themselves as a PHP guru.  It's a gross exaggeration.

Your portfolio site itself suffers from 'more is less'.  Too many boxes, animations, etc. that distract from the information you want to convey.  A portfolio site shouldn't be filled to the brim with all the techniques you know.  Edit yourself, and recognize that potential clients want to know a few things:

1. You're qualified.

2. You're talented.

3. You're honest.

You do this by simply explaining who you are, showcasing what you do, and by generally explaining how you interact with clients during the process.  Going overboard with credentials (your CV), jargon (your research), and your experience (your own front page rankings) makes you come across as desperate, and perhaps not entirely truthful.  There's no reason that, if you're truly as capable as you want to make your clients believe, you can't let your work stand on its own, and explain yourself in clear, concise, jargon free language.

So, get rid of the "Look at me!  I'm still only a student, but want so desperately to impress everyone!" cruft, and focus on highlighting your work.  You can sell yourself while remaining honest.

So, get rid of the "Look at me!  I'm still only a student, but want so desperately to impress everyone!" cruft, and focus on highlighting your work.  You can sell yourself while remaining honest.

i think youve been given a great piece of wisdom here.  dont squander it, is my contribution.  on the positive side, looks like you have learned quite a bit on your own.  being self-taught is a wonderful thing to showcase.  good stuff. 

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.