continued Internet Server Error 500 page keeps coming up.

jason310771

For some time now I have been getting the Internet Server Error 500 page and my host can not find out whats going on.  They have checked the server many times and also moved me to one of there other newer servers and still the same!

I have looked in to using the 'try' function, but can not see how this would work if the server itself is not working correctly.  I have had all errors logged in a file and nothing shows up when the page is shown to us.  Does anyone know what else can they be asked to try out to see if they can fix this problem.

The errors show when a form is filled out and submitted.  It does not happen all of the time, maybe about 10% of the time.  I have code at the top of all pages that logs all errors and stores them in a file and nothing is showing up.  I know that the error log works as I changed one of the files and put an error in it and that error shows up in the log, so it is logging them.  But nothing seem to show for the Internet Server Error 500 problems.

• 5 months later...

Do you have your log levels in apache to warn? If so, you can check the log files for apache to find the error. As a linux administrator for a hosting company, I can say that 99.99999% of all 500 errors are caused by errors in the code. It may be an .htaccess directive, in which case, you can just edit the vhost configuration and set

AllowOverride None

to

AllowOverride All

and restart apache. If that doesn't fix it, I can say that it is almost assured that it will be code.

• 4 weeks later...

You are catching errors in the script that potentially has the errors...so what happens when the script dies a horrible death and it causes the error catcher to fail to execute? The errors should be in your apache2/error.log file. There's no need to try to log errors when they are logged for you once already.

Chances are you have the display_errors in your php.ini set to Off and the server is throwing error 500 for ever major script error like missing {}(). You could try turning display_errors on and restarting apache. Then you might get to see your error messages.

Failing that do a tail on /var/log/apache2/error.log and look for php errors.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.