PHP Snips 2.0

It has been 5 years since I started PHP Snips, and now we/I have finally decided to give it a makeover! We also added a few new features, such as:

- Download button

- Search bar suggestions

- Screen shots

- Toolkit

- Like / Dislike Comments

- Member Profiles

- Personal news feed

- Follow Member

- Contact Member

- Settings

- Email When Someone Comments on your code/profile

- Email When Someone Votes on your snippet

Some of those features are "Members Only Features"

The old site:

http://phpsnips.com

The new site (/beta.php will be removed once we go live):

http://beta.phpsnips.com/beta.php

So, what do you think of the new site, and what other suggestions do you have?

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely hate the twitter feed right below the header. Why are you giving so much priority to that? At least make it so the user can close it

We were actually thinking of getting rid of that and putting a tag cloud, or categories (mysql, math, images, etc.) there. What would you think of that?

Judging by the home page, I find it difficult to navigate. Where is the main navigation? Categories? Can't really go any further because most of the links are returning 404s.

The main nav is now icons on the top right, letter searching is to the right of the searchbar. Which links return 404's?

I think the new site needs more color.

I have been trying to find more colors to use, but I can't find anything. I have tried orange, but my co-worker says it looks too much like Halloween colors. Any Suggestions?

Judging by the home page, I find it difficult to navigate. Where is the main navigation? Categories? Can't really go any further because most of the links are returning 404s.

The main nav is now icons on the top right, letter searching is to the right of the searchbar. Which links return 404's?

I still find the navigation a little pants to be honest. What about categories? A lot of the people who use a site like yours possibly won't know exactly what it is they're looking for (don't know the name), so will drill down into the categories looking for something along the same lines. What if you miss out on a really good snippet because the publisher used "DB" instead of "database" everywhere? It also just makes general browsing about a lot easier/possible.

The 404s seem to have been fixed now by the way -- it has been nearly three weeks.

I'd go with Red or Green (not both) as a primary color, and keep the blue accents. It looks like a spam-site landing page. You know one of those "search pages" with links, on a domain that got snatched up.

The tweet at the top says "Contains 542 different stopwords or noise words!" What does that mean?

I would try changing the font size difference between a header and text to be much more different. (larger headers).

Categories/Tags especially in a cloud.

I'd go with Red or Green (not both) as a primary color, and keep the blue accents. It looks like a spam-site landing page. You know one of those "search pages" with links, on a domain that got snatched up.

The tweet at the top says "Contains 542 different stopwords or noise words!" What does that mean?

I would try changing the font size difference between a header and text to be much more different. (larger headers).

Categories/Tags especially in a cloud.

I chose green, I kinda like it, but maybe a different color green and I would like it more... What are your thoughts?

The tweet you saw had to do with a conversation.

The fonts are bigger. If I go any bigger some will wrap to a second line (some spots that's fine others it is not).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.