double submitting

roice

Hello,

From time to time I found duplicated records (rows) in my database. Its looks like the user double click on the submit button.

recently its happen more often so I add code that check when the last submit happened (I save the linux time) and check if there is 10 second delay:

$query = mysql_query("SELECT create_date FROM `tkts_topics` WHERE (client = '$client') AND (email = '$email') AND (title = '$title') AND ($date - create_date <= 10) LIMIT 0,1");

if (mysql_num_rows($query))

{

}

I don't know why but its not working.

is there any better way to prevent double submiting?

Roi.

Try this as your query.

$query = mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) AS `exists` FROM `tkts_topics` WHERE `client` = '$client' AND `email` = '$email' AND `title` = '$title' AND `create_date` >= NOW() - INTERVAL 1 HOUR LIMIT 1");

PS - You should also disable your button onclick with javascript to prevent double-submission at the client side.

Hello,

From time to time I found duplicated records (rows) in my database. Its looks like the user double click on the submit button.

recently its happen more often so I add code that check when the last submit happened (I save the linux time) and check if there is 10 second delay:

$query = mysql_query("SELECT create_date FROM `tkts_topics` WHERE (client = '$client') AND (email = '$email') AND (title = '$title') AND ($date - create_date <= 10) LIMIT 0,1");

if (mysql_num_rows($query))

{

}

I don't know why but its not working.

is there any better way to prevent double submiting?

Roi.

Okay so all you're doing is checking for duplicates right?

Why do you need to use date in your select, can user name or email and title be enough? Unless I'm wrong it just adds stuff.

Also I'd use either client or email but not both since a member's name and email are both unique(I would think). So I'd try

$query = "SELECT title FROM tkts_topics WHERE email = '$email' AND title = '$title' ";

$r = mysqli_query($dbc, $query);

floridaflatlander - some clients use the same email for all their department.

Is it ok for 2 users with the same email to submit topics at the same time. I just don't want that each one of them will submit the same topice twice...

floridaflatlander - some clients use the same email for all their department.

Is it ok for 2 users with the same email to submit topics at the same time. I just don't want that each one of them will submit the same topice twice...

If that's the case you have to do what ever is unigue. name/title etc.

Client button disabling:

<form action="whatever" onsubmit="document.getElementById('mybutton').disabled = true">

<input type="submit" id="mybutton" value="Submit" />

</form>

In SQL: (NOW() - INTERVAL 1 HOUR) translates to one hour ago.  Assuming your 'created' timestamp is populated by the database (DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP), using a DB-generated time will ensure you're using a proper relative time, whereas a php time may be out of synch (if on different servers, for example).

If that's the case you have to do what ever is unigue. name/title etc.

In the case of a "topics" table (as per his example), there's likely no such thing as data uniqueness.  Think of forum posts here... there could always be two identical posts by the same person years apart.

The proper solution is to check time as well.

There are many ways to prevent a user from submitting a topic twice. But from what I see that you're trying to do is that you want to prevent the user from accidentally submitting it twice. The easiest is to set an ID to each form/topic submitted. When checking with DB if the topic is available, deny request to submit. If the ID is no in the DB, the allow the submitting to process.

PS to smoseley: A gentle reminder that every code have to be place in a code tag.

Think of forum posts here...

I see

Can you right it so the check will be for the last 10 seconds?

If they are double clicking it and I think they are I bet the odds are you'll need less than 10 seconds, you may need less than one second.

You may need something like this

PS - You should also disable your button onclick with javascript to prevent double-submission at the client side

OK, I'll

Thanks

What do u think about using session for that - when user submit I open sesion the current time or even better - cookie that will destroies after 10 second

when submit again I check if he have cookie. if yes this means that 10 seconds haven't been pass yet and he can't submit the form...

that way I'm not using SQL queries...

good idea?

(If I'm, already login why do I need to write the capche every post???)

10 seconds is not enough time to prevent a double-submit.

Or even one second

Or you can try

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

// Check for a name:
if (empty($_POST['name'])) {
$error [] = 1;
$name_e = '<h5 style="color: red;">* You forgot to enter a name.</h5>';
} else {
$name = $_POST ['name'];
$name = mysqli_real_escape_string($dbc, trim($name));
}

// The other $_POST

if (!$error) {
// Run UPDATE query

if ($results){ // Or mysqli_affected_rows might be better
$name_submitted = ''; // Or any variable that would make sense.
}
}

}

<input type="text" name="name" size="90" value="<?php if (!empty($name_submitted)) {echo $name_submitted;} elseif  (!empty($name)) {echo $name;}  ?>" />

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.