Should I use an MVC framework for projects where others might take over

HGeneAnthony

I'm interested in doing some websites for a few charities.  However, I'm a little conflicted with which way to go.  I personally believe in writing everything in PHP to make it easier to maintain.  However, this might make it harder for the charity to find someone to take over for me if I move on.  I am also a fan of MVC frameworks like Codeigniter, YII, and the Zend Framework, due to their consistent standards, and handy functions, but once again this might make it harder to find people to take over for me if I move on later.  I'm curious what is the best way to go.  I don't think I've ever seen one open source PHP application that ever uses a framework.  Should they be avoided?

To the contrary, using a framework can often make a site easier to maintain. All the developer needs to know is how to use said framework and providing the original programmer has done things as they are generally (best practice) done, any developer with an understanding of said framework should have no trouble picking up where the original programmer left off.

To the contrary, using a framework can often make a site easier to maintain. All the developer needs to know is how to use said framework and providing the original programmer has done things as they are generally (best practice) done, any developer with an understanding of said framework should have no trouble picking up where the original programmer left off.

This.

Choose a framework that is well documented and has good support as well.

I thought of that as well, however I still wonder why I never see this implemented in open source projects I've downloaded.  Most open source projects are pretty big as well so I felt like maybe these guys just know something I don't know.

That's what I like most about CodeIgniter.  It has the finest documentation I've seen.  I learned CI fundamentals in a few days after picking up an OS project and reading their User Guide.  Stupid Simple.

Want to make future devs hate you? Use Typo3.

I really like CodeIgniter's documentation.  I also think it's a really nice framework.  I'm always trying to decide between using codeigniter and yii.  YII has some really nice features and is also very fast.  Unfortunately, nothing can touch Codeigniter when it comes to documentation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.