Exporting data to a .sql file

mikemike27

Hi,

I can't believe I haven't been able to find this on Google in about 5 seconds.... but I haven't  :(

I’m trying to export data on a mysql table from one server to another using a webpage (so it’s an automated process)

So in my .php file I need to;

1. create an SQL statement that sends everything from one table on server1 to a .sql file.

2. Then I need to switch servers - which I know how to do

3. Then I need to import that .sql file to a table on server2.

I tried “SELECT * INTO OUTFILE '111_20120613.sql' FROM TABLE1” but yeh, that did not work. A similar statement, that sends it all to a csv file DOES work, but sending it to a csv will really slow my servers down. I'm moving a lot of data here.

Please help!

Mike

First of all the query syntax you have mentioned in your post is not correct.

Changing extension form csv to sql will not have any effect , it will be still written as a flat file.

If you want to dump table  as a sql file you need use mysqldump.

Ok. Thanks. Using mysqldump I waded around Google until I found out about the exec() function in PHP. I can use mysqldump in that. It works very nicely...

Now, just one final part is getting from the .sql file on to a different server.

I've tried;

exec('mysql --user=... --password=... --host=... $database $tablename' < /location/$filename.sql');

and;

exec('mysqlimport --user=... --password=... --host=... $database $tablename' < /location/$filename.sql');

Neither worked. They were complete guesses. I reversed the '>' as you can see, and I took off the 'dump' part as it's not a dump. Do you know this one too??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.