Puzzeled in working new(to me) technology

Hi all Php coders,

I myself have been doing code in php/CakePhP since last 5 years. I have switched to freelancing a while ago and had plans to continue in php only. One of my recent client has asked me to shift to Ruby on Rails. I was quick in learning in other things so he suggested me and also helping me too in learning RoR. He have given various reasons that why RoR is better from php from future point of view.

But my biggest concern is that if i will shift to RoR my php/CakePhp experience will lessen and after one or two years of RoR experience, i will still not be that expert. If i will keep coding in php after one or two years i will have 6 to 7 years of v good one solid experience.

What you all php guros will suggest, that what step should i take? Should i learn ror or should i continue with php(by finding other clients) to increase my php experience further?

Will be grateful to every suggestion

Regards

There's no reason really why you can't do both.  Many developers have experience in multiple languages and/or frameworks.  Keep up with your PHP through existing projects/clients and keep a look out for new clients.  Start learning RoR in whatever spare time you have by making little personal projects, or re-coding one of your current projects in RoR just for the experience.

Whenever you feel comfortable with RoR then you could start picking up jobs related to RoR and PHP. 

• 2 months later...

Adding because I like the topic.

I'd advise doing both - I started web development in PHP and split my time between Python and PHP these days (with the occaisonal flirtatation with Haskell)... As long as you keep doing a decent amount of work in PHP (eg. side projects), you will be richer because you have worked in the other language.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to split hairs, but RoR is not equivalent to PHP or vice versa. RoR is a web development framework for Ruby. An equivalent comparison would be between RoR and one of the more sophististicated PHP frameworks like Symfony2 or ZF2.

Both Symfony2 and ZF2 compare quite favorably at this point to RoR in my not so humble opinion.

With that said, I agree with the prior opinions about broadening your horizons.

ROR is such a great thing to have on your CV. I have not touched it for a few years but it is an excellent framework for web development. Many big sites are built using it. I think Twitter is one of them. Using ROR may actually help you improve your php coding. As gizmola has stated, many of the top end php frameworks are using ROR methods. I am currently flicking through the following book https://efendibooks.com/books/codeigniter-handbook/vol-1 which adapts the codeigniter framework to work more like ROR.

How does that work?

If you are used to using a specific php framework i.e cake, codeigniter, etc and you start using Rails you will come across things like presenters for views and loading views into layouts, autoloading views & models, etc (loads of stuff). Going back to your php you may start implementing some of these features to make life easier hence improving your code and following the Rails method of convention over configuration so you can keep your projects consistent.

I'm not saying that using Rails makes your general everyday php coding better. I'm stating that once you see how Rails tackles a certain problem you may start to think, 'well can I do that with my php code to make it more efficient'.

I'm stating that once you see how Rails tackles a certain problem you may start to think, 'well can I do that with my php code to make it more efficient'.

And then you realise that php doesn't have most of the functionality of Ruby and that you will have to create some dirty hack to get the job done.

Well it had much of what he said. Autoloading is easy. views and layouts are not exactly easy, but common. Presenters and the whole application stack is not really possible without a dirty hack, Ruby and Python just don't work the way HTTP was originally designed to work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.