Building Your Own Server vs Using a Service

thetylercox

Considering using godaddy & phpMyAdmin vs. having a sever in the places of business and hosting it on site! Pros and cons of both? The most notable to me is dealing with the internet being down could be a hassle but I can work around this issue. Not sure about safety? Any input would be appreciated!

So what sucks about GoDaddy?

- They overload their servers, resulting in terrible performance

- Their customer support sucks

- Their website is just horrendous as far as usability is concerned

- The control panel they use is just terrible... it sometimes takes a long time for simple changes to take effect and, again, terrible usability

Just off the top of my head. There is plenty of better webhosts - there's no reason to suffer the headache of GoDaddy.

With that said, I still use them for my personal domains because I can get .com's cheaper than anywhere else that I've found (<$8 each). Although lately this has proven to be a little time consuming and frustrating (finding promo codes that work) so I may end up transferring them at some point.

I purchased a year lease from them for a shared server. (my first actually) and i left before my first month was done. It took them almost 2 months to change my nameservers for me. When i was there, most php extensions were disabled; everything from sockets,zip,curl,(there is more). They have no support for any sort of cache (memcached,apc). Their customer server sucks beyond belief. I had messed up the permissions on a directory i was trying to delete, and they kept asking me for my cc number for identity (this is understandable, but not once they transfer you to 3-4 different sales reps before sending to the IT department-- each asking the same damn shit).

Lets just say you would have better luck hosting your site on some free host rather then godaddy.

I have had the exact opposite experience using GoDaddy. The few times I've had to call for support, it's been great. Like the time I registered 3 misspelled domains, and they immediately refunded me and registered the one I *meant* to type.

I don't know why they would ask for a CC number, they ask me for the phone PIN. I've also never had trouble with the functionality. I've been using them for various things for over 10 years and not had any of the problems you guys are talking about. (I'm not saying you didn't, I'm just very surprised). I've set several friends up with sites on GoDaddy and had no problems. I guess the only problem was a friend who bought "Website Tonight" when was he needed was Wordpress. We called them at 9pm on a Sunday, they gave him a refund and set up the correct service, and then I installed Wordpress using their functionality.

I agree the website is horrible to look at, but after so long I guess I just know to click NO to all the extra add ons. For the price, it works great.

That's GoDaddy's fault how?

The summary ON that page indicates:

"This happened to David Airey as well. He attributes a Gmail Security Flaw (this particular flaw has been fixed) as to why he was never notified of the domain transfer.

David Walsh received two emails on November 28th from moya.server@gmail.com. One said: "trust me godady can't help you," the other: "pay 2k to get ur domain back .."

This is not isolated to GoDaddy. Original registrants varied, see below."

- They overload their servers, resulting in terrible performance

- Their customer support sucks

- Their website is just horrendous as far as usability is concerned

- The control panel they use is just terrible... it sometimes takes a long time for simple changes to take effect and, again, terrible usability

That was my experience as well.

With that said, I still use them for my personal domains because I can get .com's cheaper than anywhere else that I've found (<$8 each). Although lately this has proven to be a little time consuming and frustrating (finding promo codes that work) so I may end up transferring them at some point.

Yeah, I've been trying to find a good domain provider, too.  Usually I just pay the extra $10+ when I purchase hosting, but I like the idea of being able to completely change hosting without sacrificing my domains.  I've heard good things about hover.com.  They start at $15, though, which seems a bit pricey.

It boils down to their customer support.

7:45am - Called GoDaddy support at (480) 505-8877. Was not helpful. Was told just to email domaindisputes@godaddy.com (which I did immediately).

8:06am - I tweeted about the problem. GoDaddy sent me a DM saying to fill out a form, but the form was a 404 page.

With something as vital as a company's web presence is in today's world, having a registrar that gives a shit should be a primary concern.  GoDaddy is just a large drive-thru with such a commercial volume that they will lose no sweat over you.

Usually I just pay the extra $10+ when I purchase hosting, but I like the idea of being able to completely change hosting without sacrificing my domains.

I usually don't like to have my domains with the same company I have webhosting through. I usually recommend namecheap for domains if someone asks me, they seem to have a good reputation.

EDIT:

Just to clarify, that was in no way GoDaddy's fault. The same thing happened to several other registrars. But, I don't believe GoDaddy did their best to help their customers during the event.

With something as vital as a company's web presence is in today's world, having a registrar that gives a shit should be a primary concern.  GoDaddy is just a large drive-thru with such a commercial volume that they will lose no sweat over you.

My experience has been the opposite. Every time I've needed to call them I've gotten immediate help, and I love that it's 24 seven.

I have never had my email hacked and my domain stolen however.

Maybe because I do fairly high volume business with them, I get better support, I can only speculate. But I've had good support from the first time I used them almost a decade ago and had one domain and the cheapest hosting.

Again, I'm not saying you guys haven't had those bad experiences, I just haven't had the same one. I've had stellar service from them. I will probably continue to use them, especially since there's only been one other hosting company recommended here. I've tried a few other hosts, and there was one I actually had to file a small claim against because of their ineptitude. (double billing, refusing to cancel, not providing the actual service).

I think it's a lot like cell phone providers. I like AT&T. I would prefer to use Sprint but I have an iPhone. I absolutely refuse to use Verizon because I consider their service abysmal. My dad swears by Verizon and thinks AT&T is the devil. *shrug*

My experience has been the opposite. Every time I've needed to call them I've gotten immediate help, and I love that it's 24 seven.

Sorry, but I think you are the minority here. If you're happy with GoDaddy, that's fine - I'm glad they treat you well. But, I know many people that share my feelings and I will avoid them like the plague for web hosting.

I think it's a lot like cell phone providers. I like AT&T. I would prefer to use Sprint but I have an iPhone. I absolutely refuse to use Verizon because I consider their service abysmal. My dad swears by Verizon and thinks AT&T is the devil. *shrug*

I have AT&T too. When my girlfriend and I got setup with our family plan, they literally screwed it up in every way possible. We did it online which meant the activation fee was supposed to be waived. We signed up for like a 500 minute/month family plan with unlimited texting and two smartphones with 200MB/month data plan (the cheapest, we're usually on WiFi anyway). This is what they did:

- Did not waive the activation fee on either phone (so $80 total added to the bill)

- Made TWO family plans for each line, instead of both lines under one family plan

- No unlimited texting on one phone

- Bumped both data plans up to the most expensive one

It took me probably 2-3 hours on the customer support line to get everything fixed. The guy on the phone told me that some of these problems were "common", and most people don't even notice. Are you kidding me?! How much more incompetent can you be?

I haven't had any other problems with them since that, though. The service is kind of shitty in my area but that's not really their fault.

Sounds similar to the experiences I've had with Verizon.

Any company has the capacity to screw you over. The bigger they are, the more it will happen. The problem is if you avoid every company that anyone has ever had a problem with...who do you use?

Well it all depends on your needs. If you intend to create a small website dealing with little PHP and MySQL usage, a simple web hosting company such as iPage is a good start. If you are dealing with a more robust site which requires php, mysql, perl, java or your own streaming servers, there are web hosting companies built for this such as rackspace, amazon ec3. They use cloud services for this instance. Hosting your own servers can be really troublesome and hard at times. You have to ensure you have good servers, high bandwidth and load balancers to handle the data. So, from my previous experience, if you only looking to create website, just use web hosting companies. ensure that they have a good reputation and this might be what you want :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.