Building Your Own Server vs Using a Service

thetylercox

Well, surely there is quite a laundry list of pre-req's to consider before you delve off into getting a dedi or even VPS for your hosting needs.  The primary task you should consider is if you are comfortable handling the security of the server itself ( or at least know somebody ). 

That being said, there are a ton of benefits gained.  You'll have full capabilities to run whatever features you desire, LESSC, Ruby, ffmpeg, gzip, and xmlrpc, to name a few.  You'll also need to be either already versed in or willing to research web server and zone management.

Managing your own server can be a headache, but if you're willing to take a few Advils and learn, it can be a very rewarding experience! And hell, if you wanted to toss up a Minecraft server it's ez pz fun!

A little to cheap  :-\

I was originially skeptical as well, as I was accustomed from buying from 3rd party resellers.  I was turned onto Kimsufi from a friend who runs servers and purchases straight from OVH itself.  Kimsufi is OVH's "non-professional"-end servers.  But the hardware is more than adequate!

I don't want to sound like an advertiser, but I've had my share of VPS's & Dedis through the years and I fully recommend these.  But by all means, search around.  Just add me to the list of supporters you'll find.

http://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/index.xml

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the resources to run your own server, do it!!!

Nearly all of the big web hosting companies are now owned by 5 major companies. These are probably the same parent companies that own most of the television stations: http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/who-owns-the-media-the-6-monolithic-corporations-that-control-almost-everything-we-watch-hear-and-read

I've been with HostMonster for years, but I'm not sure how much longer I will be with them. They (and several others including BlueHost) were recently purchased by the same company that owns GoDaddy. I was just informed (by a former employee of BlueHost) that because GoDaddy is so successful, that all of the other hosting companies they own will begin following GoDaddy's model. They are blind to the fact that GoDaddy is so big because of advertisement!

Further reason not to use GoDaddy, is their Domain Resell services. If you look up a Domain Name on GoDaddy's web site, if you don't purchase it right away, you'll find that the Domain has gone to one of GoDaddy's Domain Resellers. A friend lost 3 domains this way, and lost 2 more test domains that were looked up just to prove that GoDaddy was doing this on purpose!

I say it again, if you have the resources, run your own server!!

I was just informed (by a former employee of BlueHost) that because GoDaddy is so successful, that all of the other hosting companies they own will begin following GoDaddy's model.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I was just informed (by a former employee of BlueHost) that because GoDaddy is so successful, that all of the other hosting companies they own will begin following GoDaddy's model.

Well, that's scary.

He lost his job because he refused to Upsell during Tech Support Calls. He didn't feel that Upselling to people who are having problems with their current service was a good idea!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.