Zune player

yoursurrogategod

The good: The Zune HD's brilliant OLED display, HD Radio tuner, long battery life, movie rentals, and subscription music integration finally give iPod expatriates something to shout about.

The bad: You still can't use the Zune with a Mac, Marketplace purchases require "Microsoft Points," video format support is limited, audio quality lacks advanced controls, you'll need to purchase a dock accessory for HD video output, application and game selection stinks, and the recommended music subscription plan puts the real-world cost higher than the iPod.

The bottom line: The Zune HD delivers one of the best portable music and video experiences money can buy. At a time when many people have shifted their focus to games and applications, providing a killer media experience may not be enough for potential Zune buyers.

sources from reviews.cnet.com

I don't get why apps on a music player is a negative? I have my phone, why do I need another identical device, except that it just lacks phone capability? It's daft. I love music and I would much rather invest in a music player that spends 100% of their time improving that experience, rather than having Facebook and other pointless app/games available on it. I have a phone for that. I've never used Zune but after the comments that it's "all about music", I'm intrigued to look into it.

Edit:

I didn't mean the other negative points ZulfadlyAshBurn raised weren't valid by the way, just not those about apps.

The good: The Zune HD's brilliant OLED display, HD Radio tuner, long battery life, movie rentals, and subscription music integration finally give iPod expatriates something to shout about.

The bad: You still can't use the Zune with a Mac, Marketplace purchases require "Microsoft Points," video format support is limited, audio quality lacks advanced controls, you'll need to purchase a dock accessory for HD video output, application and game selection stinks, and the recommended music subscription plan puts the real-world cost higher than the iPod.

The bottom line: The Zune HD delivers one of the best portable music and video experiences money can buy. At a time when many people have shifted their focus to games and applications, providing a killer media experience may not be enough for potential Zune buyers.

sources from reviews.cnet.com

Why would it be more expensive at the end?  Don't you pay a monthly fee and then get all of the music that you want, as long as the fee is paid?  I would download thousands of songs that way for $20 a month * 12 months in a year, for an annual cost of around $240, depending on the monthly cost of the subscription :) .

I have the 2nd Gen Zune (has the pad on the bottom), and it works great! The only issue I have with Zune is you can not connected it to your car stereo and control it through the stereo like an iPod. If I were to use something connected to my car speaker I would use a phone, unless the new Zunes have Bluetooth.

I have the 2nd Gen Zune (has the pad on the bottom), and it works great! The only issue I have with Zune is you can not connected it to your car stereo and control it through the stereo like an iPod. If I were to use something connected to my car speaker I would use a phone, unless the new Zunes have Bluetooth.

What about the windows phone?  That thing should have a USB connection.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.