Multi-file upload

arbitter

Hi there.

I need a multi-file uploader for my site. I have been researching my head off, trying plugns with flash (eg. uploadify) and jquery-html5 uploaders (Blueimp), but I just can't get it all to work. So I thought I'd make my own, simply with PHP, no fancy stuff. So I do it, and it works fine, except it has a maximum of a total of 8MB of pictures and maximum 20 pictures. I know some of these can be changed (or at least I think so), but then again I presume there are possibilities of time-out errors and even not enough memory allocation to the script?

So the only solution to my problem would be, I guess, using ajax with jquery or so. Now I don't need anything fancy, and it doesn't need to work in all browsers. All I need is a simple way to upload files and run a script on those files. Since I have never actively used jquery, and certainly not the ajax api, I have no clue on how to get started. Could someone give a simple example?

Because the upload is being handled by php on the server, you will be restricted by the size limits and file limit that are set on the server, no matter what you do on the client side.

The swf/jquery based scripts upload one file per http request, so they are not bothered by the php max_file_uploads setting, but will still be stopped by the php upload_max_filesize/post_max_size settings.

What exact problem are you trying to solve? Uploading a large number of files or uploading large files?

Well both actually... I'd like the uploader to be able to handle 100+ images of regular photo-camera quality. Theres no need for images larger than the 8MB, so the upload_max_filesize/post_max_size doesn't need to be altered.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.