What are these core.numbers core files in my Wordpress main folder?

pahunrepublic

Hi Everyone. I hired a guy to make some wordpress modifications for me in a theme. Mainly php and mysql coding. Now I am looking inside the Wordpress folder where all the files are. There are some kind of core files appear (i.e. core.4459, core123). I don't know what those are. I thought it has to do with some webhosting backupfiles or something so I asked support and they said this:

In your /public_html/lavozdepanama.com there are many 'core' files. They are memory dumps that are related to your code's memory leaks. I would recommend you try some memory optimization for your coding or running some kind of unit testing suite to optimize your code to help remove those errors.

XY: those are errors than?

Dustin P: they are memory dumps related to memory leaks in the coding

XY: so I have to improve coding so not to have memory leaks

Dustin P: correct. There are plenty of debugging programs available to you that would help you with optimization of your code.

I'm lost. I am basic php coder but this one is new for me. What can be done in this situation? The guy I hired really messed up right? These files regenerate every day a whole bunch of them. I have the suspicions it also has something to do with this case I'm having lately when I view my site it gives me this" it gives me "Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request...." It does the same thing with some other posts. Other thing - I don't know if it has something to do with these core files but I get like 2 account suspensions a week from my webhosting company because they say:

System administration noticed that you are running a WordPress blog which is currently experiencing some issues with resource usage and performance. Depending on the intensity of your site's CPU demands, we may have already been forced to suspend your site in order to stabilize the server.

Those files are automatically generated because some application is running, crashing, and is configured so that it will dump memory to a file.

1. Do you have any executable files? Actual programs, not PHP scripts.

2. Figure out what is crashing. Check your access logs for anything returning 5xx errors.

3. Examine the dumps, which is a good idea anyways because you'll need to find out where the problem is.

Are you running the latest version of Wordpress? If not, upgrade! What specifically did you ask him to code for you? If this is related to Wordpress core functionality then I doubt the programmer would have to use/write new functions and thus the memory leaks come from existing functions. Which would be resolved when upgrading Wordpress.

Have you contacted the programmer who wrote this for you?

Can you, in any way, show us the code he has written for you? We may be able to spot the serious problems or tell you which code may be causing the memory leak. If these are many files then include them in a zip file.

Are you running the latest version of Wordpress? If not, upgrade! What specifically did you ask him to code for you? If this is related to Wordpress core functionality then I doubt the programmer would have to use/write new functions and thus the memory leaks come from existing functions. Which would be resolved when upgrading Wordpress.

Have you contacted the programmer who wrote this for you?

Can you, in any way, show us the code he has written for you? We may be able to spot the serious problems or tell you which code may be causing the memory leak. If these are many files then include them in a zip file.

Ok I updated WP and after checked like several hours to see if any core files got generated. There is none for now so far. I'll see it tomorrow. Anyway thanks for the threads.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.