xml - simple question

Drongo_III

Hi guys

I am trying to access an xml file from youtube that uses name spaces but when i try to access these elements I seem to get nothing back.

As a simplified example:

My XML

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
<movies xmlns:f="hppt://www.test.org">
<f:name>hello</f:name> 
</movies>

I want to access the value of the f:name element so I do this:

$xml = simplexml_load_file('myxml.xml');
echo $xml->{'f:name'};

But it doesn't echo anything to the page. So I must be doing something wrong but I'm a bit stuck on what that is...

The only thing I am struggling with are these elements with namespaces (colons).

Any help would be appreciated!

Drongo

You have to go through the children and attributes methods before you can access them. How those work is by returning to you a list of elements/attributes located in the new namespace. Or returning a copy of the original object with its "current namespace" changed. Whatever the mechanism the end result is basically the same.

Anyways, code.

echo $xml /* default namespace */ ->children("f", true) /* "hppt://www.test.org" namespace */ ->name;

Stick with me on this :) I might be a little slow...

I've done this:

echo $xml->name->children("f", true)->name;

Based on what i understand from what you said. But it returns an error:

Warning: main() [function.main]: Node no longer exists in C:\wamp\www\xml\test

What am i doing wrong?

Ah spotted my mistake. Should have been:

echo $xml->children("f", true)->name;

Now it displays correctly.

Thank you for introducing me to that. Think i need to spend a little time practicing :)

You have to go through the children and attributes methods before you can access them. How those work is by returning to you a list of elements/attributes located in the new namespace. Or returning a copy of the original object with its "current namespace" changed. Whatever the mechanism the end result is basically the same.

Anyways, code.

echo $xml /* default namespace */ ->children("f", true) /* "hppt://www.test.org" namespace */ ->name;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.