What I should know about PHP

mikhl

Hi,

I'm just wondering what I should know in PHP to be classed of a good PHP coder. I am wanting to compile a list so I can check off what I know and figure out what I still need to learn.

Thanks

* Know OOP

* Write clean, well-structured code with good documentation/commenting

* Know different ways of solving the same problem

* Avoiding common coding mistakes

* Prevent SQL injections and other vulnerabilities (sanitize user input, etc.)

* Always be open to new technologies and update your code accordingly (clean it from deprecated stuff)

Can come up more if you want :)

OOP - not just the syntax, but the methodology.  If you think that OOP is merely stuffing functions in a class definition, you're doing it wrong.

Form handling - sticky forms, how to handle check boxes and radio buttons, how to handle POST data in general, validation/sanitation.

Databases - queries, injection prevention, efficiency.

Data structures - learn to love arrays, as they're the base of PHP.

Script design/organization - well-formed PHP scripts follow a particular pattern.  Jumping in and out of HTML in the middle of a script is a symptom of doing it wrong.  Learn to use templates, learn to separate your concerns, learn the difference between GET and POST and when to use them.

File handling - IO, looping through a directory, uploads, etc.

Hey, thanks for the answers. Some things I am going to brush up on and ensure I can fully utilise and understand.

Silkfire, if you can come up with some more I would be very greatful.

Get good at reading code you didn't write.  You'll never escape having to deal with it, so the faster you can read it and understand it, the more effective of a programmer you'll become.  Plus, you'll pickup a few ideas from other people's code.

And good PHP coder's don't look to become good PHP coders.  They look to become good coders, and PHP just becomes a tool that they know how to use.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.