Disable removing of code

Rikudou_Sennin

Hi!

A client wants a template for his website and I offered it to him for free, if he leaves my credit message in the bottom.

And I need to know how to make sure, that he can't remove the credits, so if he removes the credit message there will be shown some message, e.g. "Please do not remove credits, thanks." instead of the page.

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for my english, I'm not native.

That may be right, but he doesn't know PHP. If you will see somewhere <div class="blahblah"><a href="linktomysite">Credit link</a></div> it's not that hard to remove it, because most of the people, who own websites have a basic knowlegde of html. But if you make a function, that will not allow you to remove that string, it's not that easy.

That may be right, but he doesn't know PHP. If you will see somewhere <div class="blahblah"><a href="linktomysite">Credit link</a></div> it's not that hard to remove it, because most of the people, who own websites have a basic knowlegde of html. But if you make a function, that will not allow you to remove that string, it's not that easy.

If he really wants to remove it, and he has unfettered access to the file, he'll remove it.  Maybe he won't be the one to actually delete the code, but there's nothing stopping them from finding someone else with enough technical knowledge to do it.

Don't bank on the ignorance of your client.  If they want to change something, they will, with or without your consent.

EDIT: This kind of situation is why contracts exist.  Why are you doing work, or providing a service, without paperwork and signatures?  Contracts exist to protect both you and the client.  If neither of you are comfortable putting your name down, then why bother?

Ok, thank you for your "help", if I can even call it so. I thought that you are skilled in PHP, not just some moralists. I don't need help witch contracts. I needed help with PHP, but it's probably too much.

And Pikachu2000, no, I haven't been given the right answer.

That's as if I asked you "How are you?" and you answered "Yes, I like dogs."

I thought that you are skilled in PHP, not just some moralists. I don't need help witch contracts. I needed help with PHP, but it's probably too much.

We are skilled in PHP, but also much more. We have experience doing things like this and will suggest other methods if they are better. Just because it isn't in PHP doesn't mean it isn't the correct answer. If you went to the car shop to get something looked at because you thought it was broken and they came back with a simple fix that you hadn't thought of, would you tell them no?

If you really wanted to "protect" yourself via code, you could encode it (ionCube || Zend Guard)... but that is some serious overkill for something like this. Again, a contract would be the correct answer here. I almost feel stupid for having to suggest an encoder like this though.

I don't have anything broken. I just want to know learn something. And if I went to school to learn e.g. history, I don't expect that the teacher will start talking about maths.

This is more like going to school to learn math, asking the teacher if solving an equation with too many unknowns is possible, getting an answer, and then disagreeing with it because you need it solved.

Ok, thank you for your "help", if I can even call it so. I thought that you are skilled in PHP, not just some moralists. I don't need help witch contracts. I needed help with PHP, but it's probably too much.

And Pikachu2000, no, I haven't been given the right answer.

That's as if I asked you "How are you?" and you answered "Yes, I like dogs."

Yes, you have.

There's nothing stopping you from trying to come up with some sort of system that does what you want.  It'd be a bit convoluted to do it just in PHP.  You'd be far better doing it in JavaScript, as it can access the DOM far easier.  The problem is, it's not a surefire way to get what you want. 

If you think the client is just going to yank your name off the template the minute they get it, then you can be assured they'll want to get rid of any 'security' (I use the term very loosely) features you've included as well.  You can't bank on their technical ignorance to leave it alone.  If they have the time, money, or determination, there's really nothing you can do.  They'll either learn how to remove both your name and the security feature themselves, or get someone else to do it for them.

Frankly, you're going about this in a completely backwards manner.  The issue isn't a technical one, but one of trust.  You don't trust that your client will adhere to whatever verbal agreement the two of you made, so you're trying to come up with some convoluted technical solution.  Again, this is why contracts exist.

So, instead of getting pissy about not getting the answer you want, maybe you should heed the advice of people who have been down the road you're so eager to drive down and got screwed in the process.

Really? Do you really think you are going to get help with that kind of douchey attitude?

You have been given the correct answer in the first reply. PHP is not obfuscated, it is plain-text. Anyone can remove the credits. Anyone can remove the code that safeguards the credits. It doesn't matter if your client knows PHP or not; it's not too hard to either figure out how to remove something like that or to find someone else who will.

So in short: either get paid, or get a contract that makes it illegal to remove the credits. Then run a script on your own server that pings the client's website to make sure the credits are still there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.