Migrating to IPB

.josh

Hello All,

We plan on moving from SMF to IPB (the forum software).  If all goes well, all info should be ported correctly (login credentials, posts, etc..). 

Below is our migration schedule:

Friday, Sept 21 - The forums will be put in read-only mode and will possibly be taken completely offline.

Saturday, Sept 22 - Most of the main conversion process should be done, however we'll need time to do things like rebuild thumbnails for users & attachments (which takes a while for a board our size.)

Sunday, Sept 23 - Internal testing will occur that morning with our staff, and will re-open if no issues popup.

Monday, Sept 24 - All is back to normal, however some hotfixes might be required and thus some downtime might occur. Please let us know if any issues you spot.

Our IRC Channels will remain open all weekend and will not be affected by the forum conversion. The main site should remain up as well, however some downtime might occur with it as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Ew, stay away from IPB man :P

SMF All the way!!

PHPFreaks has been known for being "SMF" for years now, it's perfectly fine in my opinion ;) Everyone who thinks of PHPFreaks knows about it's on SMF and stuff, changing this software will make me feel funny when logging in and stuff :/

This site's Nostalgic factor is to high to change it's forum system :(  Please keep it SMF

Not only is the code terrible and risky to make mods for, we can't even get the time of day from the smf devs regarding certain issues, despite (last time I checked) being one of their largest users. We've also made mods that people ask for for their own smf site, but we have trouble submitting to smf mod site because they are "too similar" to other mods...so apparently if someone makes a mod and then stops maintaining it even to the point where its no longer compatible with current smf versions, anybody else who wants to make their own that's compatible, or even expand on the idea, is fucked, smf won't accept submission.  That's been our experience, anyways.

And then there's the admin control panel.  I acknowledge that having a complex permission system for members/groups/forums/etc.. requires a complex control panel for it, but a much better job could have been done organizing how/where everything is set.  You end up having like a dozen different places where a permission can be set or overridden by another permission and spend a lot more time than you should, trying to figure out how to make the stars line up proper, so to speak. 

I really do like the look and feel of smf's front end/design, though.  And that's where we all are most the time.  Which makes it extra sad for me to say goodbye to smf.  But time and time again we've been roadblocked with moving forward and really customizing the software to be what we want for our community, and we're tired of it. As thorpe summed it up: it really is holding our site back.

I like smf but if it has to be it has to be. I belong to Larry Ullman's forum, link it's IPB and I haven't been there in almost a year and at the time I thought the user info and set up sucked. But I just went back and it looks clean and he's changed some things.

I don't think the pictures were there with the post topics and my profile stuff seems easy to navigate this time.

IPB has grown quite a bit over the past few years and has a faster development cycle than SMF. In any case, the user interface will be default to begin with and once we start changing our main site then the skin will change to match. We will happily take any requests, compliments & complaints into consideration once we start the design process.

And for those wondering when this is gunna happen - now that I'm back from vacation I can get the ball rolling again ;)

Very interesting. Not that I frequent here anymore (I'm sorry!) I'll be interested to see how it all goes. I'll check in from time to time. After all.. this is probably my longest standing account on the internet.

Good luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

We used phpBB once, and were hacked.  It definitely didn't leave us with a good impression.  Even if it has been improved...IMO phpBB would be worse than sticking with SMF.

You must have been using phpbb2...which is very outdated and well, very exploitable.

I would definitely suggest giving it another try, phpbb3 has been almost completely rewritten and has an amazing admin panel for easy configuration and I'm sure it has an integration from SMF to phpbb mod. It has a very very wide following now and is very popular. I'm sure it will fit your needs perfectly.

Again, just a suggestion :)

Though I guarantee you will find it more to your liking then IPB.

IPB is FAR BETTER choice as far as this site goes. there is too many security flaws in  PHPBB and it lacks alot of plugins and features that IPB has.

there are some minor security flaws in IPB but have been worked out in version 3.

IPB cons: confusing to write custom plugins for

Aiming to be completed by the end of this month, hopefully sooner ;)

Damn didn't know that soon.  I am actually pretty anxious.  Do you guys got a theme and stuff already working maybe a demo/beta up?

Logo definitely has some nostalgia factor to it, I wouldn't like to see it go :(

Why dont we migrate to VB3.8? It is still by far the best forum software to me. But I am definitely fine with IPB, it seems to be getting more and more popular especially with VB fighting against Xenforo on the court.

SMF is really an inferior forum software, it has no class or object in its source code AT ALL. It's just so unbelievable, not surprised if the script is already unable to maintain and upgrade at this point. 

:wtf: