Website Critique Please

ourpete

Hi

I run a franchised rubbish removal business. I made my own site using Wordpress:

http://www.junkportersleicester.co.uk

The Franchisor (the company I bought the franchise from) have said that the site has to look similar to their own, so the following cannot be changed:

1.  The logo at the top (which is taken from the Franchisor's website with their permission)

2.  The yellow border

3.  The white background

I am therefore requesting that you critique everything inside the yellow border, and to ignore the logo, border and background.

The site gets plenty of visitors from Google Adwords but few enquiries, so I suspect the site needs some refinement

Thanks

Pete

The navigation leaves a lot to be desired.The fonts are way too thin of a weight to give any significance.  Also, the drop menu is out of place and out of the design scheme.  Since that seems to be the most important information on the site, you should really find a place to put it in front of the visitor's faces - don't make them search for it.

The copy/paste twitter feed is just awfully placed and designed. There's further no reason to load more tweets than the box can handle without using a scrollbar.

The footer has the most potential IMO on the site.  You've only gone wrong with all the different fonts and font colors there.

Your header elements are upside-down for what I care.  You need to sell your company in the first few seconds before visitors leave, and the guarantee you posted on the bottom should be above the fold.

The last note i'll make is that you're advertising yourself as an alternative to another company.  That's not good marketing at all.  You should sell you company on who you are and what you do, not on what competition you are not.

Thanks very much mahngiel

Very good advice.  I removed the Twitter box already

The only thing I don't understand is where you say the header elements are upside down. Which header elements are you referring to?

Thanks

Pete

The only thing I don't understand is where you say the header elements are upside down. Which header elements are you referring to?

I misspoke. I meant 'heading': <h3>  I went to copy paste them to illustrate the order I feel is most important, and I realized they are JS cufons - why use a cufon script with such a sans-serif font?  You're also loading over 12 scripts, one of which is for flash objects.  What is the purpose of the flash script? Cufons are supposed to be a replacement for using flash sIFR fonts

Thanks again

It seems I have a lot to learn

I got rid of the Cufon fonts and the headings look clearer now

I don't know what the 12 scripts are. I didn't put them there intentionally. Maybe they are something to do with the theme I used?

pete

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.