AJAXFreaks.com Anyone?

The buzzword is out. AJAX. I've seen it, you've probably seen it, but it's going to be in our faces before we know it! A method to combine practically all of our favorite programming languages together to make some killer web applications.

We registered ajaxfreaks.com about two weeks ago and we're planning to build a site just like phpfreaks.com but for AJAX.

Who's interested in helping build some of the intial tutorials / content? If you are post here and let's plan something out.

We can more than likely just copy phpfreaks, change some of the look and code and have AJAXFreaks.com! We've got some ideas to tie the communities together, so let us know what you think.

I'm interested to hear what you have to say. I honestly think AJAX is going to be the next BOOM on the internet.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I have heard about Ajax, and how good it is supposed to be. But I haven't really looked into it yet, and as far as I know, I havent used any web sites that have implemented Ajax. But I do agree with it being something big, as I have heard it mentioned and praised in some top places...

I'd love an AJAXFreaks, at least I could start learning it in a familiar environment! Anyone recommend some online resources or books for the time being?

Do you plan on implanting the user database like we have it here at phpfreaks or like at apachefreaks? Like here you have to log into the site and into the forums. At apachefreaks you log into the site and the forums at the same time.

I would almost say do it like we have it here, and on the website login have it pull the usernames from the database here over to there. Sorta share user information with each other, if that makes sense. That way we don't have to register at both places, just one. We might also do the same thing with the forums.

Sounds awesome Eric. I have been looking into AJAX quite a bit, and have looked at a good bit of code, but have yet to implement it anywhere. And I agree, it most likely is the next BOOM on the internet (and may already be).

I would be willing to write some tuts or something once I get more into it, but I don't have the time or the background knowledge on it to do anything immediately.

What is your time scale for the grand opening?

Sounds awesome Eric.  I have been looking into AJAX quite a bit, and have looked at a good bit of code, but have yet to  implement it anywhere.  And I agree, it most likely is the next BOOM on the internet (and may already be).

I would be willing to write some tuts or something once I get more into it, but I don't have the time or the background knowledge on it to do anything immediately.

What is your time scale for the grand opening?

307337[/snapback]

I honestly don't know how long, or if I 100% want to do it. It sounds interesting, but am I going to have the time? Who knows... I'll work on it when I get a chance and we'll see.

I honestly don't know how long, or if I 100% want to do it. It sounds interesting, but am I going to have the time? Who knows... I'll work on it when I get a chance and we'll see.

307345[/snapback]

well, if you're needing a little help with it, count me in. i've been doing some extensive reading on it, although, my actual toying with it is not quite so extensive yet. my interest in this type of thing was peaked with google suggest and maps... the whole idea of live dynamic content definitely has me hyped!

let me know if you're needing help with anything specific, and i'll be more than happy to contribute what i can to the matter!

Yeah, count me in as well. If you need help with it, I'll definately start to look into it more and try to learn more about it and maybe implement some stuff here at work (I've been meaning to do some anyways).

Maybe obsidian and I could be the leads on the project as far as help? I'll dig into some research immediately.

Maybe obsidian and I could be the leads on the project as far as help?  I'll dig into some research immediately.

307362[/snapback]

i don't know if i'd be able to donate as much time as might be required to be lead, but i'd definitely like to work with ober on project help. i'll also pull up all my resources and see if i can get some decent code and example/tutorial material together.

Cool, well with this much excitement and willing to help, we may just go for it! I'll see about starting next week for sure.

307491[/snapback]

great! sounds awesome, eric! can't wait to see what we can all pool together. maybe we'll be able to give google a run for their money! ;-) lol

for those interested, it's not hard at all to learn... basically, you need to have an understanding of XML structure, a working knowledge of how server calls are executed, and a good knowledge of JavaScript (assuming a good knowledge of PHP). if you have those under your belt already, just put them together with some light reading, and you'll have a working knowledge of AJAX...

And probably the most important thing, you better know how to use XMLHTTP.

307795[/snapback]

very true, but that's kind of the part that's got to be learned ;-). not very many people i've met are aware of how to use it properly without some serious reading... especially the differences between IE and other browsers.

very true, but that's kind of the part that's got to be learned ;-). not very many people i've met are aware of how to use it properly without some serious reading... especially the differences between IE and other browsers.

And there are some SERIOUS differences.

just adding my 2cents that this is a good idea.

I have used AJAX a few times and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

one quick example of how I've used it is on a registration form:

in one instance I have the user enter their first and last names and this "instantly" creates a username for them based on what they've entered. The key being that if there are two people named joe smith, the application wont create the same username twice.

another instance I have used it is in a chat room application. Instead of constantly refreshing the page every few seconds, an AJAX script checks the database for any new messages and if there are any, the <div> containing all the messages is updated to show the new message. no iframes, no refreshing. its a beautiful thing.

I'll get cracking on the layout design & color scheme & logo for ya site.

308232[/snapback]

i agree with ober: i would think the AJAX portion would merely be a mirrored look of PHPFreaks... maybe a color scheme change slightly, but why mess with a good thing? eric may have something else in mind, but that was my impression

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.