CPU temperature

tendouser

Is it under load or anything? That's normal (at least for a desktop CPU) under load and is still within operating temps - although a bit toasty ;)

70*C on a desktop even under full load is still pretty damn hot. I definitely wouldn't want to run my machine at that temperature for prolonged periods of time.

However, he is using a laptop, which is a different story. 70*C at full load on a laptop is perfectly acceptable.

If that is 70*C at idle, though, you might have some problems.

70*C on a desktop even under full load is still pretty damn hot. I definitely wouldn't want to run my machine at that temperature for prolonged periods of time.

It is hot, but still within operating temps. Under a decently heavy load, with a lower-end cooler that isn't terribly uncommon. Now would I want mine running at that temp? No, I prefer it at half that :P But that's a moot point, OP's computer appears to be a laptop. I imagine his lap is a bit hot though

OP - your fan speed depends on the fan. Some spin faster, some spin slower, some have more airflow, some have left... etc. It really all depends.

I'm running a Intel i5 2500k, and with all 4 cores at 100% load I'm at ~55*C (give or take a degree on each core), using a CoolerMaster Hyper212 cooler. Not great, but not too bad either considering how damn hot the ambient temperature is right now.

@tendouser, download Prime95 (64bit 32 bit) to stress test your CPU, which will put you at 100% load. That way, you can get an accurate load temperature. Also, download CoreTemp, because it has more accurate readings.

Once you have Prime95 downloaded, follow these steps:

1. Start up "prime95.exe"

2. Click "Just stress testing" on the dialogue box

3. When the box titled "Run A Torture Test" pops up (if it doesn't pop-up, go to Options > Torture Test) click the middle option, "In-place large FFTs" and then press OK (also, make sure the "Number of torture test threads to run" is equal to the number of cores in your CPU).

4. At this point, all cores of your CPU will be at 100% load. After 10 seconds or so, check the temperature.

5. To stop the test, go to Test > Stop, and then exit Prime95.

I run an AMD FX6100 on my desktop and have Folding@home going so it is at 100% load 24/7.  The CPU runs around 52C or so, not too bad really.  I wouldn't be worried about it til probably closer to 65C.  I've never really bothered to check my laptops but I know my old toshiba would get hot enough that you you couldn't set it on your lap or you'd probably burn yourself.  It worked fine though, never had issues with stability.  My newer asus hardly gets hot at all, even under load.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.