How to check if a variable has a number on it?

bugzy

Newbie question guys..

I want to check if a user input/include a number on the textbox?

so the requirement is, user must input a string and a number on the textbox and no other conditions just want to check if he/she input a number on it.

Question is too broad.

Pikachu2000 I already edited it already.

to make it clear

if a user input - "hey you are beautiful"

it should return false.

if a user input - "hey you are beautiful 2222"

it should return true.

Probably overkill but yeah...

function containsInteger($input) {
return (boolean)preg_match("/[0-9]/", $input);
}

Hello,

I tried this

preg_match("/[0-9]/", $address) == FALSE

and this

!preg_match("/[0-9]/", $address)

But it's not working like...

like if I input "Hello World"

It's returning a true value even if there's no number included on the input

:shrug:

if(strlen($address) < 20 && !empty($address) && !preg_match("/[0-9]/", $address))
   {
      //invalid
   }

As Pikachu stated that could be written more logically and it actually has a flaw. If the user entered the number '0' the validation would fail because the function empty() would return false. But, let's step back a second because that is really overkill. If you must have a check to ensure there is at least 1 number in the value there is no need to do the strlen() or empty() checks at all!

Also, I normally do an isset() check on form field values. It could be considered overkill, but I incorporate it with a process to also trim the values which you should be doing anyway. So, here's my take:

$address = isset($_POST['address']) ? trim($_POST['address']) : '';
if(!preg_match("/[0-9]/", $address ))
{
    //Invalid
    echo "The value '$address' is invalid"; //Add this for debugging
}

if(strlen($address) < 20 && !empty($address) && !preg_match("/[0-9]/", $address))
   {
      //invalid
   }

As Pikachu stated that could be written more logically and it actually has a flaw. If the user entered the number '0' the validation would fail because the function empty() would return false. But, let's step back a second because that is really overkill. If you must have a check to ensure there is at least 1 number in the value there is no need to do the strlen() or empty() checks at all!

Also, I normally do an isset() check on form field values. It could be considered overkill, but I incorporate it with a process to also trim the values which you should be doing anyway. So, here's my take:

$address = isset($_POST['address']) ? trim($_POST['address']) : '';
if(!preg_match("/[0-9]/", $address ))
{
    //Invalid
    echo "The value '$address' is invalid"; //Add this for debugging
}

Psycho thank you very much for the reminder.. It's appreciated. But what I posted is just the summary of the code.. There's actually more into that like trimming, mysql escape and etc.

Anyway, Thanks again and it will be for sure noted for future work  8)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.