Pointers to building a Web Portal

chopsumbongw

Hey,

I have just been assigned a project along the lines of 99designs.com and activeden.net

The SRS has not been finalized as yet but i want research the same.

From what i understood in course of the PDM is as below.

1) The project would be require two roles for users namely designers and customers

2) On login both would be taken to their respective portal page.

3) Portal Page woul display relevant information like

[*]Designer

• Active Projects
  • Job requests
  • Client Notifications
  • Payment Completed
  • Time line for projects

2. Customer

• Project Status
  • Payment Due
  • Reviews Remaining
  • Suitable Designers

This is primarily the basic functioning of the website there is more functional logic that i have omitted from this summary.

It has been a while since i have worked on a core php project. Since the past two years I have worked solely with CMSs namely Joomla and Wordpress and augmented their functionality with extensions when necessary.

The last e-commerce project I worked on was something you would call "a website that is also shop". Simple integration of virtuemart was all the functionality i needed.

Now coming to my actual question is whether i should create an extension for the project to integrate it with a CMS or should i build it from scratch. The only thing that might be updated on the website might be the blog section but i can work that out without the CMS as there would be a dedicated developer for the project once it is complete.

Thanks for any help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.