basic CMS system

sturobinson81

Hi Everyone...

I'm keen to learn how to build a simple CMS system so that I can offer at least a basic way for clients to update some of their own website.

I don't really want to be doing entire websites using a cms (not right now anyway). Just give them the ability to update/add their own photos and latest news / offers.

Any advice on where and what I should be learning first?

I assume each item on the page built using cms will be store in a database, so should the first thing i learn be simple php/mysql connections etc?

Thanks in advance...

Stu.

For a very simply cms you really only need to know how forms work, how to write to a database and how to read from a database.

This wiki http://www.tuxradar.com/practicalphp, has chapters on all of these topics.

Of course to do it well enough to be able to *sell* your skills to a client, you will need to know a hell of allot more and be experienced with it.

Security is also a very important topic for this, so you'll have to do a lot of reading up on it as well. Terms such as input validation, output escaping, salting, hashing, XSS, SQL injections, CSRF and so forth is something you should be very familiar with, before starting on a CMS for public consumption.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.