Authenticating a user between multiple servers?

DWilliams

I'm developing an application that consists of several parts. The main website is written in PHP, but there are also several WebSocket servers that the user might need to connect to. The servers are written in C# and have no direct communication with the web server other than via sharing the same database.

Where should I start reading to come up with a way to have website logins also authenticate the user on the WebSocket servers? Since the WebSocket connections are all done in client-side JS, nothing it does can be trusted. For example, if I have a WebSocket chat server, I don't want the connecting users to have to re-login but I also don't want to rely on the JavaScript to, for example, say "Hey, my name is Fred". I'd rather have the web server somehow tell the chat server "Yep, he's logged in as Fred, all is good".

I'm developing an application that consists of several parts. The main website is written in PHP, but there are also several WebSocket servers that the user might need to connect to. The servers are written in C# and have no direct communication with the web server other than via sharing the same database.

Where should I start reading to come up with a way to have website logins also authenticate the user on the WebSocket servers? Since the WebSocket connections are all done in client-side JS, nothing it does can be trusted. For example, if I have a WebSocket chat server, I don't want the connecting users to have to re-login but I also don't want to rely on the JavaScript to, for example, say "Hey, my name is Fred". I'd rather have the web server somehow tell the chat server "Yep, he's logged in as Fred, all is good".

Each request is independent of the last. The client has to send some sort of authorization token (session token) to the server, which can then verify it's legit with the database.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.