Making a Windows / Mac / iPhone app quick (2d game)

tibberous

I'm making a basic, turn based game. I'm writing the core in PHP, with a Flash based client (and maybe an ajax client, since I'm using that to test and it's already half-done)

I want to release it for Android, so I'll write it in Java, which shouldn't be too much different from Flash (been years but I've wrote graphic apps in java)

What has me worried is the iPhone part, since that has to be done in C / C++. I haven't used either in YEARS, and only did graphics stuff in DirectX, which I'm guessing Microsoft hasn't released for the iPhone.

Just wondering if anyone has experience using any kind of iPhone platform / engine? I know there are people slamming out iphone apps, but it's a little daunting to write something in a language that you were only 'decent' in 10 years ago.

You might want to look into Qt, more specifically the Qt mobile initiative. The latter which is spearheaded by necessitas for Android, and a version of Qt for iOS is under testing as well.

Alternatively, you can just keep the game purely PHP & HTML based, using gracefully degrading JavaScript. If possible, that would be the simplest solution.

Part of the problem is that I want to sell the game - I could make it playable as a webpage, but I'm not sure how I'd sell that on the app store.

Not loving the very alpha look of Qt.

I haven't looked at objective-c -- I thought it was just regular c they used, could make it a lot easier. I think I might just focus on the Flash version, and maybe just pay a US developer to make the mobile versions for a few grand. I wouldn't hate to have the iPhone experience, just trying to focus on stuff that doesn't involve me sitting at a computer all day.

I haven't tried Qt for iPhone, but it does work very well for Android (and the other mobile OSes they support). Despite the alpha/beta status.

I've read a few reports indicating that it works on iOS as well, though without a mention of how easily. Building for the different operating systems, however, is a breeze. With (virtually) no change needed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.