Need suggestions for a user-specific content page

desigi

I'm developing a website for a daycare. I've finished the site except for the parents login section, where they will be able to access their child's daily logbook. The content in this section will also need to be managed by the daycare workers, where they will update the children's file on a daily basis for the parents to see.

Considering the daycare's capacity is 80 children, it would be more efficient for me to design a page that will display dynamic content depending on who is logged in.

This is the first site I've developed in PHP and I'm not quite sure how to address this requirement. I've looked at integrating Wordpress, but considering it would only be used for one section of the site it seems like it would be overkill. I've also considered making a custom solution, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

The requirements for the logbook section are as follows:

• Login required to access the page (this part I know how to setup)
  • Dynamic content to appear specific to the logged in user
  • CMS to edit the content

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMO, rather than spend time and resources on building a web site that does all this, the better solution would be to build an app. Everyone (especially parents) have smart phones. The app could pull the logbook data, etc. from the DB and serve it just as well for the user. And be more accessible ANYWHERE the parent is.

IMO, rather than spend time and resources on building a web site that does all this, the better solution would be to build an app. Everyone (especially parents) have smart phones. The app could pull the logbook data, etc. from the DB and serve it just as well for the user. And be more accessible ANYWHERE the parent is.

How would this differ from a web application? Are these smart phones capable of running apps, but not browsing a website?

An amazing part about web-based applications are the fact that they are for the most part platform independent. There's no need to maintain both an Android and an iOS version, and you aren't alienating those who don't have smart phones. Time and resources will have to be spent regardless.

I think a web app is way out of the scope of my expertise. I'm really a beginner when it comes to PHP, but I learn quick.

My issue is primarily related to the CMS that would update the DB. The parent login I can figure out and how to display database content dynamically I think I can manage as well. For the CMS though, I'm under the impression that it's a fairly complex process to display database content and to update it so I wanted to use a prepackaged CMS. But those all feel like they would be an overkill for what I actually need.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on how to implement a simple CMS for this type of feature.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.