MYSQLI and bind result

Drongo_III

Hi Guys!

Quick question on mysqli and bind_result (been using pdo a lot and mysqli seems a wee bit different which is throwing me).

When you bind the results of a query, what is the best way to get a multidimensional array from the result?

I have played about and got the below to work - but i just know there has to be a better way than that!

I woudl appreciate some enlightenment if you please :)

<?php

$db = new mysqli("localhost", "root", "", "testingcsv");

// check errors
if(mysqli_connect_errno()){

echo mysqli_connect_error();
	exit();

}

$var = 34;

$query = $db->prepare("SELECT name, address, town FROM datastuff WHERE id=?");
$query->bind_param('i', $var);

$query->execute();

$query->bind_result($name, $address, $town);

$myarray = array(); // to store results
$i = 0; 

while($query->fetch()){

$myarray[$i][] = $name;
	$myarray[$i][]= $address;
	$myarray[$i][] = $town;
	$i++;
}
echo "<pre>";
print_r($myarray);

Since you are using a prepared statement, in general, you would need to do it the way you came up with. I would form an array with keys/values and do this all in one simple statement - $myarray[] = array('name'=>$name,'address'=>$address,'town'=>$town);.

If you have php5.3+ and are using the mysqlnd driver, you can convert the result from a prepared statement into a mysqli result set using - http://php.net/manual/en/mysqli-stmt.get-result.php This will allow you to use traditional mysqli fetch statements to iterate over the result set.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies to this post. Just have a couple of questions (humour me as i am still getting to grips with prepared mysqli statements).

1) Generally speaking in what scenario would you want to use bind_result? I assumed from the examples that it was simply what was done - from following examples.

2) Christian suggested above that instead of using bind result I should use mysqli_stmt::fetch. But in the context of a prepared statement, like the example below, how would I use that method?

Example:

$var = 34;	
$query = $db->prepare("SELECT name, address, town FROM datastuff WHERE id=?");
$query->bind_param('i', $var);
        $query->execute();

Where would I go from here to use mysqli_stmt_fetch? My confusion is really around the fact that with a prepared statement you're not using somehting like:

$result = $mysqli->query($query);

Sorry if these questions seem a little vacuous...just trying to get to grips with it.

Drongo

bind_result and  mysqli_stmt::fetch are used with prepared statements.

He suggested using mysqli::fetch_array (no stmt in it), which isn't used with prepared statements. It's used with non-prepared statements that are executed via $mysqli->query().

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.