How to format an echo statement to include a condition

floridaflatlander

I've been trying to format an echo statement to include a condition but I always have to split it into two or three echo  statements.

echo '</a>
</td>
<td class="info">
<a class="subject" href="', $board['href'], '" name="b', $board['id'], '">', $board['name'], '</a>';

Say I start with the above I'll then make it this

echo '</a>

</td>

<td class="info">';

if (this) {echo 'That';}

echo '<a class="subject" href="', $board['href'], '" name="b', $board['id'], '">', $board['name'], '</a>';

How can I include a condition with out extra echo's? I've tried this with and with out brackets and parenthesis and of course it doesn't work.

echo '</a>

</td>

<td class="info">'.{if (this) {echo 'That';} }.'

<a class="subject" href="', $board['href'], '" name="b', $board['id'], '">', $board['name'], '</a>';

Thanks

If you do all of the processing and parsing prior to writing any output to the screen, you'll find that things become a lot easier:

$extraInfo = '';

if (this) {
    $extraInfo = '<p>And some extra information</p>';
}

echo <<<Output
<p>This contains some information.</p>
$extraInfo
Output;

Thanks for the replys

This is in a loop and it works

$image = FALSE;
if ($board['id'] == 9) {$image = '9999999';}

echo '
</a>
</td>
<td class="info">'.$image.' '.'

However when I take out the $image = FALSE; $image prints in all the loop's results. Why does it do that? Shouldn't $image be empty?

Anyway this works and I'll make a switch statement later

if ($board['id'] == 9) {$image = '9999999';} else {$image = FALSE;} and it works fine

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.