Stripslashes as a back up?

floridaflatlander

I have a small site and right know for strings I use mysqli_real_escape_string. However when moving me to another server my provider left magic_qoutes on. So strings started adding slashes in code I wrote (but not in wordpress and smf for some reason(?)).

I've emailed them and informed then that I wanted the m_qoutes off. This is the second time this has happened in a year and a half.

Anyway, would it be bad form to have stripslashes() just before mysqli_real_escape_string as back up?

I usually check to make sure stripslashes exists. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Can also check the version number to see if the rest of it is even necessary.

if( PHP_VERSION < 5.4 && ini_get('magic_quotes_gpc') ) {
if( function_exists('stripslashes') ) {
	$data = stripslashes($data);
} else {
                 // figure out what to do with slashes if stripslashes is non-existent . . .
}
$data = mysqli_real_escape_string($dbc, $data);

Yeah, get_magic_quotes_gpc() is what I meant. I knew something seemed off. Should have looked at one of the scripts I use it in instead of going by memory. So it should be:

if( PHP_VERSION < 5.4 && get_magic_quotes_gpc() ) {
if( function_exists('stripslashes') ) {
	$data = stripslashes($data);
}
}
$data = mysqli_real_escape_string($dbc, $data);

Stripslashes shouldn't be deprecated, and it's built into the core of php.

Definitely paranoid ;)

Now I remember why I explicitly check for it. If it's been disabled in the php.ini file for some stupid reason, a warning is generated if you try to use it.

Stripslashes shouldn't be deprecated, and it's built into the core of php.

Definitely paranoid ;)

Now I remember why I explicitly check for it. If it's been disabled in the php.ini file for some stupid reason, a warning is generated if you try to use it.

Is it just slashes-functions that can be disabled in the ini? Or any core functions? That's kind of scary - terrible band-aid to fix any slash issues a script might have I guess?

I think if I ever ran into a system that disabled active, working, safe core functionality I would suggest that the owners fire their admins.

I can understand why they included that ability through the INI though, though black-listing is generally much more difficult than white.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.