Apple on college campuses?

floridaflatlander

My son recently started school at a major university(in football not academics) and he told me that almost every laptop you see, is an Apple, very few of the college kids students use a windows based machine.

Back twenty years ago the geeks made grunting noises every time someone said the name Apple.

What's changed? Is this common?

Also he might have been hitting me up for a new laptop and I just figured it out.

Your line of thought makes no sense. You said he's going to school for football, and everyone uses Apples. Then you say geeks didn't like apples. Well football players don't tend to be geeks, so if you're going to make broad assumptions at least make them make sense.

He wants a laptop. Tell him to get a job and buy it himself.

What's changed?

People have woken up to what a crap OS windows is. Plus Apple are a great marketing company.

Is this common?

I would say so. On my commute to work I see a lot of people using laptops, I would estimate 80% of these to be macs.

Your line of thought makes no sense. You said he's going to school for football, and everyone uses Apples. Then you say geeks didn't like apples. Well football players don't tend to be geeks, so if you're going to make broad assumptions at least make them make sense.

My son recently started school at a major university and he told me that almost every laptop you see, is an Apple, very few of the college kids students use a windows based machine.

I took out the parentheses for you, does that make it easier?

Owning an Apple product is a social statement. Some of the hardware they use is top-quality, but they make up for it with bottom-end elsewhere.

A friend of mine is a Mac zealot, works at a Mac-only store (was the Mac store up here before Apple had any) and even he has to admit serious issues when he has stacks of defective product in the back room. It's consumer hardware, it's going to happen.

Windows is no worse than OSX (sans Vista, and OSXs move to a unix backend, but that means much less on a desktop OS). It's really preference. I've been quite happy with Microsoft's NT-based OS', as long as I don't have to use Active Directory or Exchange :P

Apple's niche market is hipsters.  College is filled with them.

Real nerds would have some sort of *nix machine, the more esoteric the distro, the better.

Exactly.

Edit: With the exception of iPhone users, which spans about every "type" you could label a person.

Apple's niche market is hipsters.  College is filled with them.

Real nerds would have some sort of *nix machine, the more esoteric the distro, the better.

Exactly.

Edit: With the exception of iPhone users, which spans about every "type" you could label a person.

Oddly, all of my hardware is Apple, except my phone. I have no desire to own an iPhone.

Hipster...  :P

I am so not a hipster. Don't even get me started on hipsters.

Jokes.. I use an iphone (although its an old 3g) I'm just proud that I haven't lost/broken it in 3 years...

You're using a hipster phone. So powerful, no file system access without breaking their terms. Applications that must live up to Apple standards (which allows tons of useless shit while blocking many useful apps). It's a smartphone, dumbed down. If you don't mind doings ererything the Apple way, they're not bad

You're using a hipster phone. So powerful, no file system access without breaking their terms. Applications that must live up to Apple standards (which allows tons of useless shit while blocking many useful apps). It's a smartphone, dumbed down. If you don't mind doings ererything the Apple way, they're not bad

That's why I give the nod to their terms and when they turn their backs...

Apple is fighting against those who want to use the hardware in their own way, and I really don't like that

Doesn't Sony have the same issue with the Playstation? People want to mod it and they won't let them? What about windows phones? Or dumbphones?

I find iOS to be pretty clunky.  It definitely hasn't aged well.  OSX is decent.  I tend to stick with Windows as it's what I'm most comfortable with (25 years of DOS/Windows use).  Windows 7 is also a solid OS.

I really need to get more comfortable with Linux.  I don't use it enough, so I'm pretty weak with the command line.  Outside of PHP development, I don't have a reason to use it. 

Apple is fighting against those who want to use the hardware in their own way, and I really don't like that

Not to mention all their data mining.

Queries issued through Siri go to Apple's servers. Apple gets the data on who's issuing them, when, where, and in relation to what else

http://www.imore.com/apple-siri-customer-insight-play

Doesn't Sony have the same issue with the Playstation? People want to mod it and they won't let them? What about windows phones? Or dumbphones?

That's what I like about my android.  I run a custom ROM, kernel, and boot loader.  I was running iCS4 when sprint was still barely on 3.1

I find iOS to be pretty clunky.  It definitely hasn't aged well.  OSX is decent.  I tend to stick with Windows as it's what I'm most comfortable with (25 years of DOS/Windows use).  Windows 7 is also a solid OS.

I was surprised how much I liked Windows 7, after using XP for so long. I really prefer 7 now.

Not to mention all their data mining.

Queries issued through Siri go to Apple's servers. Apple gets the data on who's issuing them, when, where, and in relation to what else

http://www.imore.com/apple-siri-customer-insight-play

And google doesn't do that on their phones? I'm serious, isn't google much worse about mining data?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.