Apple on college campuses?

floridaflatlander

And google doesn't do that on their phones? I'm serious, isn't google much worse about mining data?

People expect search queries to be aggregated... not their Siri requests.

Why? And who? Do you think the average person knows that google has all that info on them, plus everything from YouTube, gmail, maps, etc, and they expect that to happen, but think their Siri requests which could be more, could be less information, are not archived?

And then wait for the guys to release the next jailbreak when the software gets updated.

Apple is fighting against those who want to use the hardware in their own way, and I really don't like that

I guess there's a little bit of that in everything these days. Well everything you have to purchase anyways. It's understandable why it's done (profit) but you need the hindsight to see the limitations and downfalls sometimes as well as the potential for new ideas.

Everyone wants to be a giant and whoever can set the initial tone to steer the market in that direction can only be on top for so long before others adapt new ideas from what's been developed.

If they were out to please everyone they would have to be open sourced and that means free.

Why? And who? Do you think the average person knows that google has all that info on them, plus everything from YouTube, gmail, maps, etc, and they expect that to happen, but think their Siri requests which could be more, could be less information, are not archived?

I used to be a bit paranoid about it. Now I just wish I owned their market shares.

Apple is fighting against those who want to use the hardware in their own way, and I really don't like that

Doesn't Sony have the same issue with the Playstation? People want to mod it and they won't let them? What about windows phones? Or dumbphones?

Sony is in the same boat as Apple. You could even say they pioneered the 'our way or it's wrong' with proprietary hardware using existing technology. They used to create their own stuff, but they kept such strict control that people moved on. They didn't have the marketing team Apple had.

Windows 7 phones are still pretty uncommon, so I didn't mention that. You are right though, they've locked down file system access, and are probably going to fight rooting methods. I'm not sure if this has been shown yet though. Android is similar that they don't allow raw access, but they won't try and stop you from rooting once you know how.

Can't really blame them, they need to try and protect paid software, but as a nerd, I'm not going to agree with dumbing down the system to enforce IP, that's going to be broken by people who really want to anyways.

Can't really blame them, they need to try and protect paid software, but as a nerd, I'm not going to agree with dumbing down the system to enforce IP, that's going to be broken by people who really want to anyways.

Not to mention think of all the people who use phones. The phone are smart but people aren't.

Think of all of the posts you've seen on php freaks forums of people who say "it's broken" (hopefully I'm not the worst offender) but with no idea of what they are actually doing. Now picture those same people in the cell phone stores with the phone they had root access to extended in their hands "it's broken..."

It is the whole idea of companies trying to make the one-phone-fits-all solution and unfortunately that usually means dumbing it down. I do feel that they shouldn't go to great lengths such as apple to prevent people who want raw access to the phone's capabilities. 

Not to mention think of all the people who use phones. The phone are smart but people aren't.

Think of all of the posts you've seen on php freaks forums of people who say "it's broken" (hopefully I'm not the worst offender) but with no idea of what they are actually doing. Now picture those same people in the cell phone stores with the phone they had root access to extended in their hands "it's broken..."

Amen.

I was talking about this with a colleague about a tool we have which lets the users do X Y and Z, then we get frustrated because it can't do A B and C, well if it did A B and C the users would go "WTF is this??"

It is the whole idea of companies trying to make the one-phone-fits-all solution and unfortunately that usually means dumbing it down. I do feel that they shouldn't go to great lengths such as apple to prevent people who want raw access to the phone's capabilities. 

Those who don't need file system access are welcome to not use it. Just like those who don't want to use the command line are welcome to use other means to run applications.

Making things easier shouldn't necessarily mean putting locks on useful functionality that is already present

Those who don't need file system access are welcome to not use it.

Now we're to the point were "big brother" decides what's best for society.  Many sheeple are perfectly happy being told how, what, and when they should do things - as they either lack the wherewithal or desire to make choices for themselves.  This is why advertising is such a powerful tool, and why OP's son is interested in a Mac.  There is inherently nothing about the device that makes him want it, it's the fact that other people have it. 

Companies count on this factor.  It's what perpetuates the mainstream bullshit we constantly see - it's inescapable, we know it sucks, but we can't get enough. 

I made a decision several years ago to never purchase an Apple product PURELY because of their advertisement schemes.  It makes me sick how they play their hand.  Credit to them for innovation, but shame on them for their methodologies. 

Well this is weird, about 70% of my classmates use Windows 7, it is also common in my school's library. Of course if you count different types of students the number may vary. More than 50% of graphical art students use Apple/Mac, but for Business and Engineering students the usage of Windows is common.

Hall of Famer, are you in the states?

That's interesting, my states main engineering school UF is just down the road, I wonder what they would say? My son doesn't go to UF but was probably talking about freshman because that was who was there mostly this summer. The Fall semester started this week.

On a lark last night I looked at Apple laptops, they cost real money.

Hall of Famer, are you in the states?

That's interesting, my states main engineering school UF is just down the road, I wonder what they would say? My son doesn't go to UF but was probably talking about freshman because that was who was there mostly this summer. The Fall semester started this week.

Yeah, I was attending a school in Pennsylvania for the past four years, now it is Cornell for me.

That's why I've never owned an apple anything for the most part.  They are considerably more expensive and do not offer any more useful features compared to a windows or linux PC/Laptop.  Back when I was in college I don't recall seeing much for Apple laptops but not many people had a laptop in general either.  I've noticed in general though apple laptops seem to be much more popular now, based on what I see at local starbucks'/cafe's and what not.  Almost anyone that has a laptop and is not using it for "business" has an Apple.  Some business people have had them to but as one might expect they seem to be more in the designer/photography business.

anyone that has a laptop and would go hang out at a Starbucks because they're a stupid hipster without real world obligations and way too much free time on their hands and is not using it for "business" has an Apple.

FTFY.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.