Loop in .tpl PHP script {help}

weboz

Hallo, i'm desperate.. I have tried 5 forums without anyone to answer me, so trying this as last tryout :)

Please read the note in the code <!-- -->, need to echo <ul> without looping.

Need help with this code:

{foreach $categories_array as $category}

<!-- need a code to print <ul class="cat1" without looping-->

<li class="cat1 {$class}" style="margin-left:10px;"><a href="{$category.href}">{$category.name}</a></li>

{elseif $category.spacing == '2'}

<!-- need a code to print<ul class="ul-cat2" without looping -->

<li class="cat2 {$class}" style="margin-left:{0+$category.spacing*10}px;" ><a href="{$category.href}">{$category.name}</a></li>

{else}
                        <li class="cat0-sub {$class}" style="margin-left:{0+$category.spacing*10}px;" ><a href="{$category.href}">{$category.name}</a></li>
                        {/if}
{/foreach}

You'll need to correctly set up your array and do multiple loop levels.  Consider:

Array(

[0]=>[category1]

Array([0]=>item1 [1]=>item2 [2]=>item3] )

[1]=>[category2]

Array([0]=>item1 [1]=>item2 [2]=>item3] )

)

Now, you have a multidimensional array and can

foreach( $array as $category )
echo '<ul>';
    foreach( $category as $key=>$item )
    echo "<li>{$item}</li>";

dump the array for a more explicit answer

I haven't worked with .tpl files before, but I know a whole lot of programming languages. Not a single one of them will let you have an elseif without an if before it. If your if is outside of the foreach then this code will never work.

You need to re-think your logic. If you provide a little more of the file and a good explanation of what you are trying to accomplish, I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

I haven't worked with .tpl files before, but I know a whole lot of programming languages. Not a single one of them will let you have an elseif without an if before it. If your if is outside of the foreach then this code will never work.

You need to re-think your logic. If you provide a little more of the file and a good explanation of what you are trying to accomplish, I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Yeah i know, looks like i skipped a line when i copied the code snip.

As for better information, i do not have any more information, because the system provider for this system will not let me see more of the codes.

So this is what i have to work with. Going to insert a drop-out menu, and for this i need <ul> to be printet correctly.

{foreach $categories_array as $category}

{if $category.spacing == '1'}

<li class="cat1 {$class}" style="margin-left:10px;"><a href="{$category.href}">{$category.name}</a></li>

{elseif $category.spacing == '2'}

<li class="cat2 {$class}" style="margin-left:{0+$category.spacing*10}px;" ><a href="{$category.href}">{$category.name}</a></li>

{else}
                        <li class="cat0-sub {$class}" style="margin-left:{0+$category.spacing*10}px;" ><a href="{$category.href}">{$category.name}</a></li>
                        {/if}
{/foreach}  

• 2 weeks later...

Using logic code in .tpl file is not recommended.

You have to have some logic in it. He is using smarty for his .tpl. View logic, does require some logic to not duplicate code and even build stuff dynamically. You are on the right track, but that statement is just wrong.

Now if he was doing Business Logic in the view Logic, ok. But looping through data and displaying it conditionally is OK to do and is needed, unless you feel like making 500 files and duplicating a ton of code.

And...

try

print ('<ul class="cat1"> or what ever);

What?

*premiso shakes his head slowly.

And...

I haven't worked with .tpl files before

It is just Smarty, I don't think the .tpl extension really matters just what smarty people tend to use. I am quite partial to .phtml myself :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.