GoDaddy Hosting Down

premiso

Apparently "Anonymous" has successfully implemented a DDoS attack on GoDaddy today bringing down all of their hosted websites due to GoDaddy's support of SOPA / PIPA in the past.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57509744-501465/godaddy-goes-down-anonymous-claims-responsibility/

Hope you are not hosted by GoDaddy :)

Must be pretty distributed to bring a friggen hosting company down.  LOL.

They have DOS attacks down to a science: http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/02/high-orbits-and-slowlorises-understanding-the-anonymous-attack-tools/

Given their distributed nature, popularity, and the existence of such script-kiddie friendly tools, they have an army of teens/young adults who are just itching to troll on a global scale.

Andddddd they are claiming it was a "corruption of router data tables". Riiight.

Read higher up:

the company?s interim CEO, said in a blog post and statement that service was restored about 4 p.m. Monday and resulted from a corruption of some router cables.

Corruption of some router cables lulz

my site was down for 2-3hours, (only the dns didn't work, ip did..)

no big deal, but im moving away from godaddy, screw them.  SOPA is stupid and they are even more stupid for voting for it !

Everyone needs to leave them

I had the same problem yesterday  :(

I believe it was incompetence rather than an attack.  I've worked for a hosting company before, and one drowsy sysadmin is capable of bringing the whole datacenter offline.

Interesting, I wonder if someone needs to start looking for a new job.

Either way it's going to cost gdaddy some customers. It brought sopa to light for those who didn't know gdaddy's stance on this issue and it also brought other gdaddy performance issues to light.

I believe it was incompetence rather than an attack.  I've worked for a hosting company before, and one drowsy sysadmin is capable of bringing the whole datacenter offline.

Either way it's going to cost gdaddy some customers. It brought sopa to light for those who didn't know gdaddy's stance on this issue and it also brought other gdaddy performance issues to light.

Firing the sysadmin depends on the severity of the error.  I once typed > instead of >> in a cronjob and we lost about $4,000,000.  We had another guy make a router route to itself (he thought he was logged in to the one in the other room) and that took down a whole datacenter for a few minutes.  Sometimes shit happens.  It probably wasn't malicious, like the press release said, I bet they had a typo in the routing table.  Remember when Google went down for an hour because someone had disallowed their entire database with a typo?

Firing the sysadmin depends on the severity of the error.  I once typed > instead of >> in a cronjob and we lost about $4,000,000.  We had another guy make a router route to itself (he thought he was logged in to the one in the other room) and that took down a whole datacenter for a few minutes.  Sometimes shit happens.  It probably wasn't malicious, like the press release said, I bet they had a typo in the routing table.  Remember when Google went down for an hour because someone had disallowed their entire database with a typo?

I am not, nor have I ever been, a sysadmin, but I can't see a small typo taking entire datacenters offline for a whole day. Maybe a few minutes until you go, "oh shit, what have I done?!" and fix it. But a day? Why would it take that long?

If they typo'd DNS A records and then they propagated out before the fix went through, you have to wait for the fix to propagate as well. 

A typo in a cli command could also delete something important (including an entire server) and it could take a day to get that restored from backup.

Another fun typo from my past:

cd /usr/local/apache/web3
sudo chmod -R 744 /

That took out an entire server permanently, it had to be wiped and restored.

Another fun typo from my past:

cd /usr/local/apache/web3
sudo chmod -R 744 /

That took out an entire server permanently, it had to be wiped and restored.

That is why I tend to use dots more often than slashes after I cd to a directory :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.