GoDaddy Hosting Down

premiso

cd /usr/local/apache/web3
sudo chmod -R 744 /

That took out an entire server permanently, it had to be wiped and restored.

LOL.

*NIX needs a, "are you sure you want to execute this command that is about to pwn your server?" confirmation.

Well that's what sudo is for!

It makes more sense if you were working with a longer path.

yes, but / is root is root is root. it doesn't matter if you're 15 levels deep, / is le whole enchilada!

I'm not talking about just root.

For example let's say you wanted to delete a whole directory from the web directory. If you accidentally ran rm -rf /var/web you have just deleted the entire contents of the web directory. If you used ls first, you might realize your mistake.

Lol who the hell hosts with GoDaddy? SOPA bitch @ss company.

company needs to vanish

They vote for SOPA, get DDOS'd... and even other hosting companies use coupon codes "GODADDYSUCKS2012" for free domain transfers, lmao godaddy is complete garbage.

also they make u pay extra 10$ for domain whois protection, when dreamhost offers for free? Keep on derpin GODADDY :D

Lol who the hell hosts with GoDaddy? SOPA bitch @ss company.

There's a lot more companies that supported SOPA. The list includes ABC, CBS, MLB, NFL, ESPN, TimeWarner, Comcast, UFC, and Disney. I expect you show the same attitude towards all these companies?

also they make u pay extra 10$ for domain whois protection, when dreamhost offers for free? Keep on derpin GODADDY :D

They also offer the cheapest domain registrations that I've ever found, and have a pretty badass control panel for them.

I don't particularly like GoDaddy either, especially for hosting, but this post severely lacks intelligence.

...and have a pretty badass control panel for them.

You lost major points in my book. They have one of the worst interfaces IMO. ;)

For everything else, I definitely agree. But once you get into the domain editor page, I think it is quite nice. And by nice, I mean powerful. In no way is it pretty.

They did an update some time ago, don't remember when exactly, that made the dns editor and domain management screens fairly nice to use, better than most other options I've seen anyway.  The rest of their UI stuff is pretty crappy still.

I've been kinda shopping around a bit for a place to transfer my domains to but haven't decided on any place yet.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.