SimCity 2013

The Little Guy

Are you going to purchase the new Sim City?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to purchase the new Sim City?

• Yes
    • Possibly, still undecided
    • Nope

I don't know if anyone has heard, but SimCity 2013 will be released this February!

I will definitely be getting it! It allows for multi player where 2 people can build 2 cities together! It looks like you won't even have to "exit" your city and load theirs, as you will be playing side by side where you can view both cities at all times (if that makes sense)!

I am excited to see what other new things will be in the game! I also hear that traffic is in "real time" so you can actually see where heavy traffic is/isn't, unlike the previous simcity games.

So, does anyone else play these types of games or are even thinking about getting the game?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone interested in the tech behind it, EA/Maxis has some vids on YouTube describing their Glass Box system.  It's pretty cool to see how they abstracted away various kinds of behavior (fires, water, electricity, and even people/traffic all operate under variations of the same idea).  It looks very flexible.

For anyone interested in the tech behind it, EA/Maxis has some vids on YouTube describing their Glass Box system.  It's pretty cool to see how they abstracted away various kinds of behavior (fires, water, electricity, and even people/traffic all operate under variations of the same idea).  It looks very flexible.

Awesome! Im going to check that out, sounds interesting. I also noticed that you can see the smog from factories in the air and probably from other things as well but I just saw a image with smog, which is really kinda cool!

Thanks for the links! making us all google, you jerk.

Thanks for the links! making us all google, you jerk.

*insert the "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" parable here*

:P

Buy a new laptop.

Well this one is just about one year old... I guess laptops are just not suitable for video gaming.

They can be. It just depends what you buy.

Even gaming laptops kinda suck. Small form factors don't deal well with heat - a pretty common by-product of processor-intensive activity. If you want to game, a laptop is generally a bad idea. Melted components SUCK.

Even gaming laptops kinda suck. Small form factors don't deal well with heat -

I love my gaming laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MW73C2

Had it for about a month now, the dual fans out the back is awesome. Totally worth it if you want a decent gaming laptop...it is just a huge beast! The pictures do not do it justice.

Buy a new laptop.

Well this one is just about one year old... I guess laptops are just not suitable for video gaming.

They can be. It just depends what you buy.

Even gaming laptops kinda suck. Small form factors don't deal well with heat - a pretty common by-product of processor-intensive activity. If you want to game, a laptop is generally a bad idea. Melted components SUCK.

Yeah, but laptop components are designed to handle more heat than desktop components. It's usually no biggie to get your GPU upwards of 80-100*C on a laptop.

Plus, most true gaming laptops have more room for components and bigass exhaust fans.

However, I'm not going to argue that gaming on a laptop is ever going to be as good as gaming on a desktop.

I love my gaming laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MW73C2

Had it for about a month now, the dual fans out the back is awesome. Totally worth it if you want a decent gaming laptop...it is just a huge beast! The pictures do not do it justice.

It's all preference, so I can't really say NO UR WRONG LOL!

When I think laptop, I think portable computing and the rig you posted stinks for that. 3-4 hours of battery life isn't enough for me (and there's NO way you'll get that while gaming)

If you need to save space, and don't mind staying plugged-in, it's great.

Yeah, but laptop components are designed to handle more heat than desktop components. It's usually no biggie to get your GPU upwards of 80-100*C on a laptop.

Plus, most true gaming laptops have more room for components and bigass exhaust fans.

However, I'm not going to argue that gaming on a laptop is ever going to be as good as gaming on a desktop.

Any desktop gaming GPU will be able to handle 90+ degrees as well. Regardless, running hardware at that temperature will lead to a shorter lifespan. The nice part about a desktop GPU is for $20 (wait for them sales) I can get an after-market cooler that will be loud as shit at full load, but keep it down to 70-75 degrees.

I agree, gaming laptops are bigger (they HAVE to be), but it's still really cramped in there to have two beefy processors running at full load for any significant amount of time. I'm not just preaching cause I have some random grudge, I've seen probably $10k worth of gaming laptops fail at various LANs when I was younger (if your machine locks up and powers itself off, DON'T TRY AND TURN IT BACK ON TO RESUME GAMING! :P)

Maybe the hardware's changed significantly in the last while, but I just don't trust it. If you want a machine with top-tier processing power, a small form factor isn't your friend!

When I think laptop, I think portable computing and the rig you posted stinks for that. 3-4 hours of battery life isn't enough for me (and there's NO way you'll get that while gaming)

If you need to save space, and don't mind staying plugged-in, it's great.

Or you just need to be around family (having kids) and not wanting to be limited to you range of a desk or having the desk in the entertainment room, sure. :)

And NO YOU ARE WRONG.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.