SimCity 2013

The Little Guy

Are you going to purchase the new Sim City?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to purchase the new Sim City?

• Yes
    • Possibly, still undecided
    • Nope

You mean like, you'd have to come to my city to get certain things that you can't in yours?

No, global commodities like the price of oil effects the price of things in your city and your region that require oil. So, everyone in your region is effected by the same price of oil.

The intelligent sim system is pretty cool as well.

Edited by computermax2328

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I wonder if there is any incentive to work together. For example, in this video you see the player buying new land to power his city. I wonder if there is any incentive for someone else to create a power city to power someone else city?? This looks awesome though. I love the building editions idea.

On a side note, I am going to need to start saving up for a new computer with a little extra power.

I wonder if there is any incentive to work together. For example, in this video you see the player buying new land to power his city. I wonder if there is any incentive for someone else to create a power city to power someone else city??

I'd imagine it would be so you can focus on one area. As another example, I build an airport, and you build the attractions. We'd get a split of the tourist $$.

• 1 month later...

So, beta came out today. I played a bit on my lunch break...

Overall... meh. It definitely needs some polishing (it is a beta, so this is to be expected). It takes some getting used to it and I could see myself enjoying it... but as of now, it's TBD if I'll pre-order or not.

I haven't installed the demo yet.

Better hurry. You get a 1 hour playable demo (you can repeat it unlimited times), but it's only available through Sunday night.

So far, my thoughts...

The good

• Graphics are pretty good, albeit cartoonish
  • More complexity. I love me some complex games. (Just look at Anno 1404 / 2070 - I loooove those)
  • Similar to above, more buildings.. although they are locked in the beta
  • Again, similar to above, the ability to trade services & what not. Pretty cool they finally allowed it.

The bad

• Cartoonish feel gets old, quickly
  • Constantly getting annoyed by your citizens. Dialog popups everywhere. Just let me build dammit!

The ugly

• The squares are way too small for large cities. Yes you can build multiple cities, but I loved being able to build huge cities. This seems like it is no longer an option.
  • Closed beta is so limited, it's not even funny. Those that were on the waiting list didn't get keys, nor those that pre-ordered through Origin. But I got one for pre-ordering through Amazon. Seriously, wtf?

What are you final thoughts on getting the game?

I played for the full hour today and 2 things stand in the way for me to get the game:

1. City size... Within ~35min I had completely filled up my entire city (ended up with 13.5k citizens, +$9k revenue). This is frustrating for me; I enjoy building large, complex cities that require multitasking to run. Again, look at Anno. I can play that for ridiculous amounts of time because it is so complex.
  2. DRM - While I don't necessarily have an issue with DRMs, they need to be done right. Always having to connect to the server to play single player? Fuck that. I'm not sure if you noticed, but earilier this weekend there was quite a bit of downtime during the [already short] beta. Why can't I play the game I bought because EA can't upkeep their servers? Beyond stupid IMO. See http://imgur.com/a/8gNl2#0 for someone else's same thoughts...

With that said, I did have a decent amount of fun still. If they at least increase the city / region size, I'd buy it. I'm still on the fence otherwise.

My roommate got to play the beta today. I have a tip for you, turn back the clock on your computer and it will give you your hour back, so you can keep playing the beta. I don't know what made him think of that but it worked.

Second, in some of the trailers I saw that you can buy extra land near your city. Basically you could purchase whole plots, but I don't know if you could expand to that or you would have to build a new city.

Someone also pointed out that you can't build agricultural land.

• 1 month later...

So... did anybody actually get SC2013? I preordered on Amazon, it got cancelled because of some stupid error, so I decided to do EA tonight... and still nothing. 

Why am I not surprised? ;)

Call Amazon about the error.  It happened to everyone who pre-ordered the digital copy.  They'll fix it, plus give you like $5 or something for your trouble.

I pre-ordered a physical copy, which should hopefully be here by this afternoon.  I'm interested in seeing how regional play makes up for the small city sizes.  Everything I've seen/read makes the game out to be more about the regional metagame than individual cities.  Neighboring cities can affect each other through pollution, taxes, trade, etc.  I'm signed up to play in Titan's Gorge with a full crew of Penny-Arcade people, so it'll be interesting to see if we can work together.  I haven't played a SimCity game in probably a decade, so I'll probably ruin things with my rusty play.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.