Making a menu only of major categories with a count

floridaflatlander

I'm trying to make a menu that is a menu only of major categories with a count or it has sub-categories with a count.

Some major categories have sub-categories and some don't.

This morning this works but last night I was getting a record with a id_parent of  0 and a count of 0(and I don't know why).

Does this sql make since and would it work consistently?

$q = "SELECT item, slug FROM category WHERE (count >= 1 AND id_parent = 0) OR id_cat IN (SELECT id_parent FROM category WHERE count >= 1 AND id_parent >= 1)  GROUP BY item"; 

The table the menu comes from looks like this ..

id_cat | id_parent | slug | item | count

1 | 0 | boats | Boats | 0

2 | 0 | autos | Cars & Trucks | 0

3 | 1 | inshore-boats | Inshore Boats | 2

4 | 2 | trucks | Trucks | 1

5 | 0 | atvs | ATVs | 2

That query should return rows 1,2, and 5. Both 1 and 2 have an id_parent of 0 and count of 0.

The reason it returns those is because sub categories exist that match your criteria of those fields being greater than 0 (as per your subquery).

What is the output you are trying to get from that data set?

Thanks for the reply

That query should return rows 1,2, and 5. Both 1 and 2 have an id_parent of 0 and count of 0.

What is the output you are trying to get from that data set?

The rows I'm trying to get are 1 2 & 5, the only problem I know of is that last night I was getting a row that had a 0 count a parent 0 with the same sql.

Anyway the sql above should only return rows 1 2 & 5? That's what I want.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.