Why do some Linux VPS host companies restrict access to time/date settings?

silvercover

Is there a reason on why some Linux VPS host companies restrict access to time/date settings?

Is that just me or someone else have same problem?

I had two VPS hosts running on CentOS from two different companies and both were restricted an I had two contact to support department and ask them to change date/time.

Why would you change the date/time on the servers?

Set the timezone properly in PHP, and save all internal times using GMT. Then you don't have to worry about what the timezone of the server itself.

How exactly does that address the question at hand? It doesn't. This is the Linux board, how do you know the OP is even using PHP on these servers?

Op: I see no reason this restriction would exist, and have never experienced the issue at hand. You should have complete control of a VPS. What happens why you try and set the date/time ?

I had a VPS based on OpenVZ at one point and was not allowed to change the date/time on it.  The only thing you could do was change the timezone.  I'm not sure if that's a limitation of OpenVZ or if it was just the way it was configured.  The two Xen based VPS's I have allow me to change the date and time no problem  if I wanted to.

Note that if your just wanting to adjust the time because it's a few hours off, you likely need to be setting the timezone, not adjusting the time itself.  Try running tzselect to set the timezone.

Isn't time stored in the CMOS/BIOS? Wouldn't changing the time potentially change the time for other VPSs on the box?

You can configure Linux to not use the BIOS clock. I prefer to always get my time through ntp.

As do I, but then I sync my BIOS clock with NTP.

Perhaps I'm a little crazy.

I can tell you what's up. The timezone defaults are set by the hostnode of VPS hosts. With that, it sets the time on the actual VPS itself. You can override these settings at a hostnode level, if your host isn't allowing you to do that, stop by and visit us at http://ServerPowered.com and we'll get you a kick ass VPS with the right timezone :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.