How much should I charge for this work?

shortysbest

Hello, I am relatively new to doing professional website work, and I am trying to figure out how much I should generally charge for work? I feel like I am quite good at what I do, and could charge quite a lot, but how much is too much or too little?

I am good in HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, JavaScript/jQuery, and node.js/socket.IO.

I have generally charged about $20/hour for local work that I do for people that I know, however now I am getting into more business. On average what should I charge an hour to do this work? Also taking in consideration that I feel like I can get work done a lot quicker than most people (as far as I have seen), so perhaps I should take that into account? Would something like $40-$60/hour be a reasonable rate?

I also have a question about what I should charge to do this work below:

I do freelance work for a company, and this particular project they have for me is a very basic and simple one. A pre-designed 7 page html website that includes some javascript/jquery, but mostly just html/css. How much would you charge for something like this?

And what about a basic html/css pre-designed E-mail job?

I'll give you the answer you're not going to want to hear, but this is usually the answer you'll be given: we cannot tell you how much you should charge; only you can.

$40-60/hr is not an unreasonable rate (at least in the US), as long as you can back it up with the quality of work. It also depends on what you're doing - I can get away with charging $100+/hr for the niche I'm in, but if I were to do HTML/CSS, it'd be a lot less.

The pro Indians on freelancer dot com charge around only 5$ hour

Yes, yes they do. However you usually get what you pay for. There are exceptions... but I've generally found that the cheaper labor usually costs more because I have to have someone come in and cleanup & fix issues that came up.

And thankfully, you can avoid people who would hire them by having reasonable market rates.

HTML/CSS, $20-30 is a fair rate.

For PHP/MySQL, it can easily go up to 40-60.

How long have you been doing it professionally? I started at 15, then each year went up by 5 or 10, until I found a good market to work in and jumped from 60 to 100 for freelance. (I also don't particularly want a lot of freelance work, only projects I really want to do, so $100/hr is a good way to weed out projects.)

And thankfully, you can avoid people who would hire them by having reasonable market rates.

HTML/CSS, $20-30 is a fair rate.

For PHP/MySQL, it can easily go up to 40-60.

How long have you been doing it professionally? I started at 15, then each year went up by 5 or 10, until I found a good market to work in and jumped from 60 to 100 for freelance. (I also don't particularly want a lot of freelance work, only projects I really want to do, so $100/hr is a good way to weed out projects.)

Well I have been doing this sort of work since I was about 16, between 16 and 17 I mostly did just basic HTML and CSS, then when I was about 17 I began PHP, MySQL, and a lot of javascript/jQuery. Since then I have done a lot of work with javascript/jQuery as I have been doing a great amount of work with ajax content loaded websites, the real source of my knowledge has been my social networking website that I started working on when I was about 17, which is the main source of my current skill level (which I believe to be quite high given my age and relatively short period of time doing this (I am 19, well just about 20 now)) I have done a few professional websites, and I have done a bit more freelance.

I agree with Philip, it just depends how good your work is, or it just depends on what the project is.... I Think you just made this topic because you're probably excited about getting to work! :) Which it's not wrong! It's just that I don't think we can give you a honest answer :(

Hopefully maybe once you start getting some work done a couple times and free ball it, you'll get a sense on how good you are and how good others think of you, and that is when you can increase the your price IMO, good luck :)

Also, @ Philip, it depends on the indian, lol!

If he is a pro or something and codes in the area you need, no wrong in seeing what he can do for 5$/hour, 5$USD is aLOT in india, or 3rd world countries :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.