Wallboard / Dashboard MySQL database driven

jhottinger

Hi All,

(first post)

i am looking to create a wallboard to display on a 50" screen to display statistics of our helpdesk system. the system we use it open source (SiTracker).

the backend of the system is MySQL database, i have IIS driving the site of the helpdesk on PHP.

I have attached an image of how i would like the lay out. it would run constantly, checking for updates every minute.

just wondering if anyone has anything similar and could point me in the right direction of coding this. My PHP is very limited, its mainly the layout of it i dont know how to code.

thanks

James

post-136312-1348240378491_thumb.jpg

I'm going to assume that you have a database that always shows the up-to-date info, that part is taken care of by some other system, yes?

The way I would go about it:

Have a page that shows your design, call it "status.php" or whatever.  This is where you will have your design/layout as shown in your picture.

In a separate script, let's call it getInfo.php, use php to query the db for the relevant info and output it as a JSON object.  The script should be relatively simple, it would be basic db connection, query and echo. 

Now back on status.php, I would have a javascript function thrown in a setInterval to be triggered every X amount of time.  In this javascript function I would use javascript's AJAX method to make a request to getInfo.php to get the latest info, and then update the areas of your page with the latest info.  All this is pretty trivial with the use of a framework like jQuery.

Anyways, if this doesn't work out, can I have that 50" screen? :P

ignace - that is exactly how i'd want it to display, thanks for that. The CSS side of things i have no idea about, my HTML knowledge is only basic. How does the CSS reference to the HTML to output the layout?

The MySQL query side of things i should be able to work out.

(bet you are all thinking im biting off more than i can chew with this! LOL if you are, you are correct!)  :D

thanks

James

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.