About The New Forums

Philip

You can actually find that one of 2 ways now:

1) View New Content -> using these filters: "Forums", "Content I have not read", "Items I participated in".

or

2) Click your username at the top -> "My Content". It won't show you new ones, but it'll show all of your content ordered by last updated.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this thread:

http://forums.phpfre...grating-to-ipb/

I've been with phpfreaks for some years, I can't believe phpfreaks did that. To me it seems more like something personal with SMF rather than analyzing 2 softwares and picking one. phpfreaks kinda lost attraction to me. I hope I'm wrong and it is doing even better than ever. :)

The change wasn't just due to a personal conflict between PHPF and SMF. It was a combination of SMF being difficult to work with in a technical sense (it's really not a great code base) and not getting any attention from the SMF devs themselves whenever we brought up legitimate issues.

Why continue to use forum software that's a pain to maintain and tweak, and whose devs have no interest in suggestions to make it better?

Our number 1 loyalty is to our members. We felt that, ultimately, SMF made it hard for us to give you the forums you deserve.

http://forums.phpfre...on=send&do=form says:

Scheduled Downtime

We're currently undergoing scheduled maintenance to improve the site. In this case, we're converting our forums to more stable and feature-rich software. Thus, the downtime might take longer than normal. We apologize for any inconviences that this may cause.

Need help or feeling like just chatting? Our IRC Channels are still up and running, so stop being shy and come say hello!

I've cleared my cache and that's the only page I've seen it on.

I fixed this by deleting some of my messages. There's currently a limit of 50 messages and I had 133.

Edited by Coreye

To me it seems more like something personal with SMF rather than analyzing 2 softwares and picking one.

I think Kevin nailed it on the head here. SMF was difficult for us to really add new features safely. Every upgrade we would have to rebuild our applications / extensions, which isn't fun to say the least.

Also with IPB or vB, we have the option of a support team who is there for us if we need them. Thankfully, we haven't run across that yet, but it is nice to know that we have a support team around the clock for any questions we might have.

Iew, not fan of the design, but... whatever, functionality above all lets say

The design will be evolving over the next few months, and will notably change whenever we launch the new version of the main site. A very custom forum skin will launch with that. However, if you have any suggestions / specific issues you don't like, feel free to let us know ;)

I fixed this by deleting some of my messages. There's currently a limit of 50 messages and I had 133.

Yeah, I'm considering upping that limit. I'll likely make it post count based (or rep-based if I can), so that it isn't abused and new users don't spam everyone but long-term members still can use their PM box more.

One suggestion I have for the new design, is to make the section a bit more visible than what it is now (and in the old design).

Reason for this is that I pretty much only use the "Show unread posts" page, and open a lot of threads at once. So when I read them, I have to scroll up to the very top to verify what category they're in. Needless to say, I don't do this very often, and as such I've been misled by people posting in the wrong section (or simply just assuming that people posted in a category they didn't).

Doubt I'm the only one which has done this, as well. :P

As for how it could be solved, I think having it in the page title would be a quite acceptable solution. That way it wouldn't add anything unnecessary to the actual page layout, and it'd only require a quick glance to the top of the window (and would be visible at all times). :)

Looking good. Only suggestion I have is to add a "New replies to your posts" link to the header again - that was my favorite feature of the old forum.

this too, it was in a very conveniant place, now it isnt, however i wont die from this, so if you do make it like before great, if you dont, great also.

Just so everyone knows, there is a theme being worked on. This is basically a two-step process:

1. Install new forum and work out the base kinks

2. Create and install new theme to make everything awesome

This board is for you all, so suggestions are welcome.

re: "unread replies quick link"

As others have mentioned, there is a way to see this by going to the "view new content" link at the top-right of the page, and then selecting appropriate filters. But this is not as convenient as having a direct link in the header, and a lot of staff (myself included!) do indeed want a link like that, so we will eventually have it. But as an FYI it is a lower priority item since the functionality is there, just not as convenient, vs. other higher priority items.

For any other lazy members, I have created a quick and dirty GreaseMonkey script for Firefox users.

You will need the GreaseMonkey addon for Firefox.

1. Install the GreaseMonkey Addon

2. Download the script, save this code to a new file named whatever.user.js. The ".user.js" at the end is important.

3. Open the newly saved file with Firefox. GreaseMonkey should pop up a dialog box, this is where you install the script.

4. Once the script is installed, go to (Firefox) Tools > GreaseMonkey and make sure that the script is enabled.

You should now see a little drop down arrow to the right of "View New Content", which will expand into a small menu when clicked.

Edited by scootstah

I like the new look, not too crazy about the WYSYWIG editor though. I need a bigger "INSERT CODE" button. or disable button... or disable it permanently for myself. Either way, this is a million times better than SMF. I always regretted going to SMF. I think we used IPB before that if I'm not mistaken. They have improved it greatly and I'm stoked about the changes.

The "lightswitch" in the top left of the rich text editor turns it off permanently, but also disables the CODE and PHP buttons.

However, since the editor doesn't seem to be chrome compatible, it's better than leaving it on.

As for the quicklink to the filter, you can bookmark this link, which is the direct link to "show only items I participated in which are unread." The filters show up in the URL when you refresh.

The "lightswitch" in the top left of the rich text editor turns it off permanently, but also disables the CODE and PHP buttons.

Oh, sweet.

As for the quicklink to the filter, you can bookmark this link, which is the direct link to "show only items I participated in which are unread." The filters show up in the URL when you refresh.

You could also use my GreaseMonkey script. :P