Questions On Php Framework

kchopne

Hi Everyone,

I will be working with a couple of my friends on PHP. I am relatively a new to PHP and need some help on few things on the same. Here are my doubts

Does one need to take care of PHP 4 compatibility ?

I will be writing a web app to integrate with a social media site like LinkedIn ? Do I need to be

specific to the framework selection ?

If one were to use 3rd Party PHP modules does framework selection matter here ? If yes then which

framework should one go for in terms of compatibility?

I am inclined towards the Yii framework. Primary reasons - excellent support for web services,

authorization & authentication, rich features, enables fastest development. Any suggestions on the same ?

Can anyone recommend some rich UI libraries i.e. jQuery

Thanks everyone in advance.

Please do not make any effort to make it PHP4 compatible. As the author of the app you can add whatever dependencies you want, so long as you make them clear. You may need to consider your target audience however, and the server set-up they're likely to have, but even most shared hosts support PHP5 these days. Perhaps even the majority are on 5.3 now (maybe).

What do you mean by "3rd Party PHP modules", in relation to a framework?

Yeah, it is perhaps not even necessary to worry about PHP 5.2 compatibility nowadays. PHP 4 was great while it lasted, but now it's totally out of date.

Most popular frameworks do take care of 3rd party modules integration pretty nicely, although they do it in a quite different way. The aspect of third party script integration is not that important for framework selection, but that's just my opinion.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.