What Does Your Workspace Look Like?

Philip

Home:

post-51414-0-49962400-1348473886_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit of a minimalist at work, so my office has my laptop & monitor on the desk, a mostly empty file cabinet, and like 4 books on the bookshelf.

And I'm a big fan of good seating, so Mirra at home and Aeron at the office.

This made me laugh. It reminds me of mission control at NASA or some NSA type Kiefer Sutherland Jack Bower 24 episode.

My home office.. Ha yeah I don't really have an office right now. Only live in an apartment, there's not really room! Moving at the end of next month though :) .. I'll get a snap of my work set-up tomorrow.

post-43603-0-89402300-1348768429_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adam

Ha.. well like once a month or so (generally around pay day) my scrum all go out for a big dinner and have a pint or two. Then when we get back everyone's bloated and tired. I couldn't think of anything worse than standing up for the rest of the day. I don't know why you'd get backache actually, perhaps tired legs? Maybe it's been too long since I've had a job I had to stand up for.

The study was limited by the relatively short follow-up period of less than three years, experts said, which may have obscured undiagnosed health problems among participants that could have led to earlier death. Dr. David Friedman, chief of heart failure services at North Shore Plainview Hospital in Plainview, N.Y., said those who sit longer "tend to be sicker, have obesity issues and cardiovascular problems. Perhaps they're less ambulatory in the first place."

Van der Ploeg acknowledged these limitations and said more studies will need to replicate the findings and focus more on sitting's influence on developing conditions such as diabetes, cancer and heart disease.

That kind of undermines the whole article. Until there's factual evidence I'm not going to believe it :) .. Besides I'm a while off 45 yet. I'd like to try it for a day though. Does it take time to adjust?

Drinking too much water can kill you too.

Everything kills you these days. "Health and safety" drives me nuts.

@Philip - Are you drinking too much water, or enough water?

Drinking too much water can kill you sure, but most of us are under hydrated. I drink 4L a day. Most people drink closer to 10-12 oz. Drinking too much water is not a risk the average person is dealing with.

Whereas most people are sitting for 12+hours a day, which yes, kills you. Sitting too much is a risk that almost everyone has.

Everything has risks, but the fact is almost everyone on this board is at risk of spending too much time sitting down. I doubt many people here are at risk of drinking too much water.

I've lost 25 lbs since I made some changes which included standing. I feel amazing. I'm sure part of it is the standing, I feel icky when I sit for long periods. I also feel ancy when I don't get a run in every few days.

That kind of undermines the whole article. Until there's factual evidence I'm not going to believe it :) .. Besides I'm a while off 45 yet. I'd like to try it for a day though. Does it take time to adjust?

Everything kills you these days. "Health and safety" drives me nuts.

Which article did you read? I just linked to google so I have no idea which one you looked at.

You can try doing a few hours at a time. If you work from home, just put your laptop on a kitchen counter or something. You do want to find the right height for your arms to rest at the right spot for typing. What almost everyone in my office but me does is they have a bar stool type chair to take sitting breaks.

It didn't take me long to adjust. Wear supportive sneakers. The only thing that ever hurts for me is my feet if I wear bad shoes.

I don't work from home. There's no where to stand up at work either, unless I bent down quite far, which I bet would give me backache.

One of the guys in our office rigged up some boxes to hold up his monitor/laptop/keyboard. If not an option, you can try it at home when you use your personal computer. If you look on lifehacker.com there are lots of articles about ways to make a standing desk.

Next up, the treadmill desk. :)

Trust me, I'm a sponge. Plus with the amount I excercise, I don't think I have much to worry about.

My point was sort of the same as Adam's; everything you do can kill you. Might as well enjoy life and not worry all the time about what is going to shave 10 days off of your life. That's just my $0.02

I stand up occasionally at home, namely at the counter, I can do it for like 30-60 minutes or so then a bit of a back ache. But I might try standing up at work, maybe it will help with my fatigue. Will have to figure out how to rig it up first though ...

Would that make me a "Stand up" guy?

Edited by premiso
  • Like 1

Trust me, I'm a sponge. Plus with the amount I excercise, I don't think I have much to worry about.

My point was sort of the same as Adam's; everything you do can kill you. Might as well enjoy life and not worry all the time about what is going to shave 10 days off of your life. That's just my $0.02

Oh I agree but also you do have the capability to make changes in your life to make it overall better. Like I said, I just feel better when I stand, and if that's the only benefit it's worth while. I'm not seriously worried that I will DIE because of sitting - but I know when I stand, I am overall healthier. Make sense?

...l go out for a big dinner and have a pint or two. Then when we get back ...

I don't know what time you eat "dinner" or when you get off from work, but where I come from, dinner is at 6pm. If you mean the American version of "lunch", then I'm jealous you get to drink and return to lunch :o

Very interesting concept to stand, I've never seen/heard of this. I abuse my desk chairs, so maybe I'd save some money by standing!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.