What Does Your Workspace Look Like?

Philip

I don't know what time you eat "dinner" or when you get off from work, but where I come from, dinner is at 6pm. If you mean the American version of "lunch", then I'm jealous you get to drink and return to lunch :o

Dinner over here (at least up t'North) is your lunch time, so usually an hour between 12pm and 2pm.

I don't get the drinking at lunch, let alone drinking with coworkers.

Ha why don't you like your co-workers? I've met some good mates at work. An I just enjoy drinking a pint with my meal, as do a lot of the people I work with. The UK is one of the booziest nations in the world though, so perhaps it's just the norm' over here.

I like them fine (most of them :)) but I'm not going to drink alcohol with them. I also don't think it's appropriate to have a drink then go work. Drinking is for relaxing/celebrating, and if you are able to do your work properly after a drink, what was the point of the drink? Just have a soda.

Not to mention the drinking & driving issue.

Ha we're only talking about a pint or two over a meal here. Doesn't have much effect, it's just nice having a refreshing, crisp, cold print of lager to wash down a nice meal :)

We have work nights out when people leave, big project releases, special occasions and such. They're not that often but it's interesting to see work mates outside of work, people tend to let the hair down a bit.

Also, legally it's perfectly fine to have a pint and drive. After 3 or 4 hours on top of that there's no worries.

We have an hour for lunch. Leave work, 60 minutes. Get to the restaurant, now you have 50 minutes. Get seated, order, now you have 35 minutes. Get your food/drinks, now you have 25 minutes. 15 minutes to eat, pay, and leave. There's no way someone can have a drink and be okay to drive, in the amount of time we have for lunch.

(When we do group lunches we tend to take 1.5 hours but still.)

At a place I worked a few years ago me and some coworkers would go out to lunch fairly often. Sometimes if we had a particularly stressful/hectic morning we'd hop over to the British pub and some of them would have a beer. I'm not a drinker myself so I just stuck with the soda but they enjoyed doing it to kinda of relax a bit before going back to face the rest of the day's issues. I'm certainly not against someone having a beer or two at lunch and coming back to work, just don't go get plastered or something lol.

Regarding standing desk stuff. I've never tried one but I have worked standing up occasionally. When we bought our new house about two years ago I would sometimes work out of it before we got furniture so it was either sit on the floor or stand at the kitchen counter. The counter was generally much nicer. It was a bit low for me though so I did get a back ache after a while from being slightly bent over. If I had something at a more appropriate height I could probably get use it to/enjoy it.

As it is now I do tend to sit a lot, but I also try and make it a point to get up and walk around for a bit at least once an hour, if not more. I've read a few different articles over the years about the problems with long term sitting.

Well I work in the city centre so it's like, a minute walk to a load of restaurants? Whenever we have those kind of meals they quite often last over an hour, perhaps going up for two, or even more. All the managers come along, nobody's clock watching. There's a nice relaxed atmosphere about my work place. So long as we produce the goods there's no problem. Personally I think that's a great way to be with your staff, because they'll have a genuine love for the company and want it to be successful.

Same goes with work hours. I'm on very laid flexi-time. I can arrive at any time I want (providing it doesn't mean that I miss any meetings or anything like that), and can leave when I want. Obviously there's core hours you have to be there, but outside of those it's just left to our own morals to ensure you do the hours you're paid to do. Nobody keeps tabs, but it would be pretty obvious from the amount you're getting done if you're slacking off all the time.

Point being, such a relaxed atmosphere really brings out the best in your work.

• Like 1

Well I work in the city centre so it's like, a minute walk to a load of restaurants? Whenever we have those kind of meals they quite often last over an hour, perhaps going up for two, or even more. All the managers come along, nobody's clock watching.

I would hate managers being there. In my old place we would go out for lunch on a Friday. This was prime time to bitch and slag off all the overpaid managers who did f*** all!

I would hate managers being there. In my old place we would go out for lunch on a Friday. This was prime time to bitch and slag off all the overpaid managers who did f*** all!

Ha well I didn't really mean the big executive type managers, just line managers and stuff.

@trq, how use the keyboard, like sound module keyboard or just like master keyboard with external sound module ?

The keyboard is a Korg X5D synth. Though I don't really use the sounds it produces for much, mostly use it as a keyboard. Next to it is my MC-808 which I use for everything.

Good for you, I think that MC-808 is a good sampling machine.

My first keyboard was Yamaha DX 7. While I was a musician I had a lots of keyboards, as Korg Trinity, Korg T3, Yamaha Motif 7,Yamaha S-80, Hammond Organ X-5, Oberheim OB-8, Midi Master Keyboard Doepfer, and more and more others ;)

What kind of music do you record?

I've had lots of gear over the years and have used a lot of different software sequencers as well. Now days, I have the mc-808 and that's about it. Except for all my guitars, but I use them for different projects.

I also haven't been making a great deal of music lately, but if I do, it's usually pretty experimental electronic stuff, but more recently Ive been doing stuff in a similar vain to The Presets. So electronic pop.

Ive been in and out of bands, done audio engineering, production and composing for the last 20 or so years.

I've had lots of gear over the years and have used a lot of different software sequencers as well. Now days, I have the mc-808 and that's about it. Except for all my guitars, but I use them for different projects.

Me too. The first sequencer I'd been used, was Roland MC-50, lately I'd started with Cakewalk ;)

About the guitar on the photo, is it Ovation, I hardly see it from this position.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.