Why Do I Have 3 Php.ini Files ?

vincej

Hi - looking into my ini file where i am required to make some changes I see I have 1 'development' , 1 'production' and 1 file called 'configuration' ... but if you open it .. it is the same as the other 2 ini files ... what gives which one is active ??

Edited by vincej

I tried that ... and it tell me that it is in C:\xampp\php\php.ini

great - so you go and look and there are 2 files marked php.ini . One production, one development. In fact there is also a third marked config. so I change the name of the production copy. Then I try to make my adjustments in development and nothing happens. Finally I make the adjustments in "config" and it works .... I still don't understand what is going on and why there are 3 adn why only the 'config" version works.

Many Thanks

These files were installed as part of Xampp. I didn't put them there. I have had a hunt through the folders and I don't see any text docs relating to php.ini installation. The most curious thing is that the file marked 'config' is the one which impacts php behaviour .

I would cut and paste a screen shot - but I don't know how to do that. The files are just labled 'php' .... it is in the explorer 'Type' column that they are described as INI-DEVLOPMENT /PRODUCTION file

The 3rd file is also just a 'php file, but it's type is configuration.

the two in files are identical in their content.

the config. file is very similar to the ini files in content, but with some additonal parameters.

The one labeled 'Configuration' is the one that is currently being used by PHP (it is named php.ini, turn off the hide extensions setting). The INI-DEVELOPMENT (php.ini-development) and INI-PRODUCTION (php.ini-production) are template files showing recommended settings for those environments. Neither is actually being used by PHP. They are there as a starting point, you would take on of those, copy it to the php.ini file, and then tweak the settings to your tastes.

If they are all the same then why not delete two of them, then the default one would be whatevers left.

They are not exactly the same. As has already been said, they are tweaked for different types of environment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.