ManiacDan

Consider the following code:

<?php 
error_reporting( E_ALL | E_STRICT ); 
class staticClass 
{ 
 function staticMethod() 
 { 
   //when called statically from the global scope, this throws a fatal error due to $this 
   echo $this->echoMe . "\n"; 
 } 
} 

class dynamicClass 
{ 
 public $echoMe; 

public function __construct( $echoMe ) 
 { 
   $this->echoMe = $echoMe; 
 } 

public function thisShouldNotWork() 
 { 
   //calling the staticClass method statically does NOT throw a fatal error as expected, the $this reference inside 
   //staticClass is assumed to be a reference to the current instance of dynamicClass instead 
   staticClass::staticMethod(); 
 } 
} 

$a = new dynamicClass( "Hello, World!" ); 
$a->thisShouldNotWork(); 

/* The above throws a strict warning BUT STILL PRINTS "Hello, World!" 
Strict Standards: Non-static method staticClass::staticMethod() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in test.php on line 22 
Hello, World! 
*/

The aptly named function thisShouldNotWork calls a method statically when that method was not defined as static. Even though the function is called statically, $this exists inside that function and can be manipulated and accessed. However, $this inside of staticClass points to a different class. No inheritance is given by the code, but one class is able to access another's variables using $this. PHP "falls back" to the last valid instance of $this since it's a super-global. Only a strict warning level will tell you that something wacky is going on.

Calling a not-declared-static method statically not causing an error is a backward compatibility thing I know (for older php4 code). Why they chose to import $this from a different context thought I don't know. Maybe php4 behaved like that, I've never tried it.

Someone certainly might be confused by the behavior if they are not running with full error reporting.

At least it handles the context right w/ respect to private/protected members and disallows access.

Edited by kicken

I didn't really want to say this because I don't like giving people bad ideas, but this is a way to fake multiple inheritance or a sort of fake-y interface that doesn't require additional coding on the interfaced objects.

It's still definitely weird and you shouldn't ever do it, but it's interesting, especially since it respects the invalid context and doesn't allow private/protected access. It knows that $this is another object, but uses it anyway. Such an odd choice.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.